SFP-10G-ER on Catalyst 3750-X

Unanswered Question
Sep 24th, 2010
User Badges:

SFP-10G-ER are not supported on Catalyst 3750-X and on other switches ....

%PHY-4-SFP_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP in Gi1/1/1 is not supported

Why ?

When will ER be supported ?

thx.

Overall Rating: 4.1 (8 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 09/24/2010 - 20:48
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hey Reza,

ER is NOT supported.  I'm the same boat.  I've asked the local SE and asked for a "product improvement" (is this the correct term).  I think the logic was to use the 3750E to push ER.

grodoni Sun, 09/26/2010 - 23:19
User Badges:

Thanks Leolaohoo,

you understood my question correct: I am talking about SFP+ ER on 3750X and not XENPACK ....

The answer I have from Cisco ist that SFP+ 10GB ER will be supported starting from Feb/March 2011.

I asked the forum because may be someone else has other informations....

I really do not understand why ER are not supported .... this is a big limitation of the product.

thanks for your feedback.

gilberto

danrya Fri, 09/24/2010 - 10:45
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

It is not supported.  Not sure when or if it will be.  Take a look at the "10-Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix" at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

It confirms that the SFP-10G-ER is currently only supported on the ASR9K and Nexus 7000.  The data sheet that the other user pointed to says:

"10GBASE-ER XENPAK-based port (single-mode)"

The 3750-X doesn't support Xenpak's.

I hope this at least clears things up.

Daniel Ryan

Cisco Systems, Inc

Advanced Services

I agree too this is a big limitation in the product to.

We are just upgrading 3570  swiches to 3750X and hit this problem

XEN Packs -ER work on the 3750

SFP-10G-ER DONT work in the 3750X

I Opend a TAC case and was told

Found the roadmap for SFP-10G-ER which stated that SFP-10G-ER would be compatible with 3750-X with the IOS release 15.0(2)SE  which would be released in 03/2012.

I wish this could be sooner.

I wish Cisco would not say that the 3570X is a replacement for the 3750 when its not with this critical feature missing

Leo Laohoo Sat, 08/13/2011 - 01:18
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I agree.  Not happy with the delay.  I thought that the 15.0(1) would incorporate the -ER support but, alas, I was disappointed. 

Update:

Could not wait till march next year.

We send our GBIC back to SMART OPTICS and they reporgramed them to report -LR  when queried instead of -ER

Hey presto they now work in the 3750X switch

Switch#sh int tenGigabitEthernet 1/1/1

TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Hardware is Ten Gigabit Ethernet, address is e342.48d8.3ab9

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit/sec, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Full-duplex, 10Gb/s, link type is auto, media type is SFP-10GBase-LR

Leo Laohoo Sun, 10/23/2011 - 19:34
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hey Charles,

Can you PM me?  I need to talk to you about how you go about getting the SFP+ reprogramed. 

iosuna_telmicro Wed, 03/14/2012 - 13:20
User Badges:

Hello guys,

thanks for the information.

Any news since last year? We need sooo much to install a SFP-10G-ER in a 3560X (the otherend will be a 3750X)...

Could someone PM me to know how get a SFP+ reprogramed?

Best regards and thank you !!

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/14/2012 - 13:54
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Spoke to our Cisco SE and he mentioned end of 2012 (tentative). 

A bit stupid really.  The only 3750 model currently that will support 10 Gbps ER is the 3750E.

iosuna_telmicro Wed, 03/14/2012 - 14:20
User Badges:

Hello leolaohoo,

thanks for your answer... I think the same. You buy a switch that costs thousands of dollars in replacement of an EoL equipment, and it's not fully compatible...

Did you finally test the option of reprogram a -ER to report -LR instead? Could be a temporary solution while Cisco supports officially the -ER. I have no money to buy a new 3750E + X2-10GB-ER...

Best regards,
Iñaki

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/14/2012 - 19:26
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

One of the regular poster here did some trick to his SFP+.  He sent an ER back to the original manufacturer and asked the manufacturer to reprogram the flash.  So now the -ER reports back as a -LR.

Matthew Blanshard Wed, 03/14/2012 - 18:31
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

The code is committed to the 15.0(2)SE release which is tentatively targeted for early August 2012. 

-Matt

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/14/2012 - 19:24
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Matt,

I'm looking forward to this.  I've been waiting for this support since December 2010.

We send our GBIC back to SMART OPTICS via the supplier we bought them off and they reporgramed them to report -LR when queried instead of -ER

These have been working ok now for 6 months with out issue.

Note the GBICS we are using are not CISCO ones.  They are SMART OPTICS branded as we needed different frequencies (cisco dont sell these).  There go into an optical  multiplexer  3 x 10 Gig links and 2x 1 Gig links on 1 fibre..

http://smartoptics.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/SO-SFP-10GE-ER-Dxxxx-B1.pdf

Charles

Anyone got them working by enabling use of unsupported transcievers with the following commands without reprogramming them:

service unsupported-transceiver
no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

I just brought a few 3560X-24T-S switches with C3KX-NM-10G modules and some Sweden Telecom SFP-10G-ER SFPs (Based on XGIGA SFPs I think) but am having trouble getting them to work. With the above commands the switches accepts the SFPs and don't go into err-disabled mode, but only on one of the switches and only in the second slot (Te1/2) the SFPs start to transmit. In Te1/1 and both Te1/1 and Te1/2 on my second switch they just show Tx = -40.0.

I've tried with 3 different SFPs with the same behaiviour. I'm thinking about asking Sweden Telecom to reprogram them to report -LR for me as well to see if it makes any difference.

Anyone else seens this behaviour?

- Mathias

ArmyMerrill Wed, 08/08/2012 - 14:41
User Badges:

I can confirm 15.0.2(SE) supports the -ER optics.  I loaded it onto a 3560E and put the SFP+ into a OneX adapter, and it recognized it and was happy.  I also checked the 3750X with the 10G Network Module, and it was happy there too.  Yay and Finally!

Leo Laohoo Wed, 08/08/2012 - 15:39
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm going to start testing this version! 

iosuna_telmicro Thu, 08/23/2012 - 10:12
User Badges:

Hi guys,

we finally order a SFP+-ER reflashed as SFP+ - LR in order that the 3560X accepts the SFP+. Now, with the 15.0.2 version, we are worried if Cisco has done something to make the SFP+ incompatible.

Did someone tested the SFP+ reflashed with the 15.0.2(SE) version?

Regards!

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content