cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP-10G-ER on Catalyst 3750-X

grodoni
Level 1
Level 1

SFP-10G-ER are not supported on Catalyst 3750-X and on other switches ....

%PHY-4-SFP_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP in Gi1/1/1 is not supported

Why ?

When will ER be supported ?

thx.

19 Replies 19

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Acording to the datashhet for 3750 x it is supported

10GBASE-ER XENPAK-based port (single-mode)

Here is the datashhet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/product_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html

HTH

Reza

Hey Reza,

ER is NOT supported.  I'm the same boat.  I've asked the local SE and asked for a "product improvement" (is this the correct term).  I think the logic was to use the 3750E to push ER.

Thanks Leolaohoo,

you understood my question correct: I am talking about SFP+ ER on 3750X and not XENPACK ....

The answer I have from Cisco ist that SFP+ 10GB ER will be supported starting from Feb/March 2011.

I asked the forum because may be someone else has other informations....

I really do not understand why ER are not supported .... this is a big limitation of the product.

thanks for your feedback.

gilberto

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

It is not supported.  Not sure when or if it will be.  Take a look at the "10-Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix" at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

It confirms that the SFP-10G-ER is currently only supported on the ASR9K and Nexus 7000.  The data sheet that the other user pointed to says:

"10GBASE-ER XENPAK-based port (single-mode)"

The 3750-X doesn't support Xenpak's.

I hope this at least clears things up.

Daniel Ryan

Cisco Systems, Inc

Advanced Services

I agree too this is a big limitation in the product to.

We are just upgrading 3570  swiches to 3750X and hit this problem

XEN Packs -ER work on the 3750

SFP-10G-ER DONT work in the 3750X

I Opend a TAC case and was told

Found the roadmap for SFP-10G-ER which stated that SFP-10G-ER would be compatible with 3750-X with the IOS release 15.0(2)SE  which would be released in 03/2012.

I wish this could be sooner.

I wish Cisco would not say that the 3570X is a replacement for the 3750 when its not with this critical feature missing

I agree.  Not happy with the delay.  I thought that the 15.0(1) would incorporate the -ER support but, alas, I was disappointed. 

Update:

Could not wait till march next year.

We send our GBIC back to SMART OPTICS and they reporgramed them to report -LR  when queried instead of -ER

Hey presto they now work in the 3750X switch

Switch#sh int tenGigabitEthernet 1/1/1

TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Hardware is Ten Gigabit Ethernet, address is e342.48d8.3ab9

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit/sec, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Full-duplex, 10Gb/s, link type is auto, media type is SFP-10GBase-LR

Hey Charles,

Can you PM me?  I need to talk to you about how you go about getting the SFP+ reprogramed. 

iosuna_telmicro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

thanks for the information.

Any news since last year? We need sooo much to install a SFP-10G-ER in a 3560X (the otherend will be a 3750X)...

Could someone PM me to know how get a SFP+ reprogramed?

Best regards and thank you !!

Spoke to our Cisco SE and he mentioned end of 2012 (tentative). 

A bit stupid really.  The only 3750 model currently that will support 10 Gbps ER is the 3750E.

Hello leolaohoo,

thanks for your answer... I think the same. You buy a switch that costs thousands of dollars in replacement of an EoL equipment, and it's not fully compatible...

Did you finally test the option of reprogram a -ER to report -LR instead? Could be a temporary solution while Cisco supports officially the -ER. I have no money to buy a new 3750E + X2-10GB-ER...

Best regards,
Iñaki

One of the regular poster here did some trick to his SFP+.  He sent an ER back to the original manufacturer and asked the manufacturer to reprogram the flash.  So now the -ER reports back as a -LR.

The code is committed to the 15.0(2)SE release which is tentatively targeted for early August 2012. 

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm looking forward to this.  I've been waiting for this support since December 2010.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco