cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP-10G-ER on Catalyst 3750-X

grodoni
Level 1
Level 1

SFP-10G-ER are not supported on Catalyst 3750-X and on other switches ....

%PHY-4-SFP_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP in Gi1/1/1 is not supported

Why ?

When will ER be supported ?

thx.

19 Replies 19

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Acording to the datashhet for 3750 x it is supported

10GBASE-ER XENPAK-based port (single-mode)

Here is the datashhet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/product_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html

HTH

Reza

Hey Reza,

ER is NOT supported.  I'm the same boat.  I've asked the local SE and asked for a "product improvement" (is this the correct term).  I think the logic was to use the 3750E to push ER.

Thanks Leolaohoo,

you understood my question correct: I am talking about SFP+ ER on 3750X and not XENPACK ....

The answer I have from Cisco ist that SFP+ 10GB ER will be supported starting from Feb/March 2011.

I asked the forum because may be someone else has other informations....

I really do not understand why ER are not supported .... this is a big limitation of the product.

thanks for your feedback.

gilberto

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

It is not supported.  Not sure when or if it will be.  Take a look at the "10-Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix" at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

It confirms that the SFP-10G-ER is currently only supported on the ASR9K and Nexus 7000.  The data sheet that the other user pointed to says:

"10GBASE-ER XENPAK-based port (single-mode)"

The 3750-X doesn't support Xenpak's.

I hope this at least clears things up.

Daniel Ryan

Cisco Systems, Inc

Advanced Services

I agree too this is a big limitation in the product to.

We are just upgrading 3570  swiches to 3750X and hit this problem

XEN Packs -ER work on the 3750

SFP-10G-ER DONT work in the 3750X

I Opend a TAC case and was told

Found the roadmap for SFP-10G-ER which stated that SFP-10G-ER would be compatible with 3750-X with the IOS release 15.0(2)SE  which would be released in 03/2012.

I wish this could be sooner.

I wish Cisco would not say that the 3570X is a replacement for the 3750 when its not with this critical feature missing

I agree.  Not happy with the delay.  I thought that the 15.0(1) would incorporate the -ER support but, alas, I was disappointed. 

Update:

Could not wait till march next year.

We send our GBIC back to SMART OPTICS and they reporgramed them to report -LR  when queried instead of -ER

Hey presto they now work in the 3750X switch

Switch#sh int tenGigabitEthernet 1/1/1

TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Hardware is Ten Gigabit Ethernet, address is e342.48d8.3ab9

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit/sec, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Full-duplex, 10Gb/s, link type is auto, media type is SFP-10GBase-LR

Hey Charles,

Can you PM me?  I need to talk to you about how you go about getting the SFP+ reprogramed. 

iosuna_telmicro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

thanks for the information.

Any news since last year? We need sooo much to install a SFP-10G-ER in a 3560X (the otherend will be a 3750X)...

Could someone PM me to know how get a SFP+ reprogramed?

Best regards and thank you !!

Spoke to our Cisco SE and he mentioned end of 2012 (tentative). 

A bit stupid really.  The only 3750 model currently that will support 10 Gbps ER is the 3750E.

Hello leolaohoo,

thanks for your answer... I think the same. You buy a switch that costs thousands of dollars in replacement of an EoL equipment, and it's not fully compatible...

Did you finally test the option of reprogram a -ER to report -LR instead? Could be a temporary solution while Cisco supports officially the -ER. I have no money to buy a new 3750E + X2-10GB-ER...

Best regards,
Iñaki

One of the regular poster here did some trick to his SFP+.  He sent an ER back to the original manufacturer and asked the manufacturer to reprogram the flash.  So now the -ER reports back as a -LR.

The code is committed to the 15.0(2)SE release which is tentatively targeted for early August 2012. 

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm looking forward to this.  I've been waiting for this support since December 2010.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card