WRV210 Router resets to factory defaults.

Unanswered Question
Sep 24th, 2010

Hey All, I purchased a WRV210. I configure the device, setup all my tunnels, WAN, LAN, Wirelss, Security, etc. and within 48 hours it "automatically" resets itself back to "out of the box" settings. This has happened twice now - once after it ran for about 4 days and the second time after only 5 or so hours of opperation.

Is this a known issue with the device? Is there an update I need to apply? I'd give ya my current FW version but I cannot login as it appears to have rest once again lol - and my tunnels are down so no remote access.

I made a backup of the config after the first unscheduled reset - (.bin file) so I have my settings ready to restore.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
riroe Mon, 09/27/2010 - 02:53

Once you are able to log back into the routers interface, check the firmware version. The latest version is  If you are at the latest firmware version then I would suggest that you give us a call at the Cisco

Small Business Support Center (1-866-606-1866)  and open up a case to troubleshoot your problem.

klukaszczyk Thu, 02/03/2011 - 12:52

I have the same problem, after few days router resets and restore default configuration.

Latest firmwate is installed.

jdmoney2010 Thu, 03/31/2011 - 16:22

I have had a WRV-210 Version in service on a fairly low use site ( < 10 users ) for about 8 months and up until recently, had no reportable problems, but I too now have the 48 hour reset to factory settings situation. Fortunately, I backup the config frequently and thus far have been able to restore without issue. So far I have checked for voltage flutuations in the power supply, heat in the equipment area, and checked for any human interactions... all no joy.  Not sure where to go next, and thus far it appears only questions posted. Had hoped for more.

mpyhala Mon, 04/04/2011 - 14:36

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting. I own and also support the WRV210 router. I can tell you with certainty that this is not a widespread issue. This forum is the first time I have heard of the problem. I did have some issues with my WRV210 when it was new. It did not "factory default" but it was common to have the wireless or internet connection "freeze" and have to reboot the router. I looked into it and found that I had enabled ALL logging on the router. After I disabled logging the WRV210 has been very stable and reliable. I use the latest firmware. If the issue continues and you do not have logging enabled, please call Cisco Small Business Support for troubleshooting. You can find a number for your region here:

Please reply if you find anything that helps the issue or if you get help from support.

solesportsrunning Sun, 02/05/2012 - 17:25

I just purchased a WRV210 today and after spending a while getting it all configured, it spontaneously reset itself to factory default settings. WTF?!!!!!  I even had upgraded to the latest firmware, version  The reset occurred after I updated the wireless settings to change the channel from the default of 6 to channel 3.  Probably a coincidence that it happened at that particular point, but perhaps that can help the developers fix this problem. Ironically, it was my very last configuration to change and then I was going to make a backup. Now I need to start over from scratch and waste a lot of unnecessary time for something that should never happen.  Please fix this problem ASAP!

alanfoley Thu, 03/15/2012 - 20:18

I've been using this WAP for two years, and I've never spent the time to figure out if the issues I experience with wireless is due to my WAP or my old and sh!tty PIX.  I lose connectivity here and there, and simply reboot both devices to fix it.  So tonight I went to figure out what causes my internet to go down, wireless to stop working, and my IP Phone to keep looking for the TFTP server.  I logged into the ASA, was looking at stuff and was lead towards perhaps an ARP issue, so I changed the IP address of the WAP as a test.  This of course required a reboot.  Did that, cleared ARP on the PIX and it came back and all was well but issue wasn't resolved (I still couldn't ping the WAP from the PIX's inside int.  After that it rebooted (or appeared to) again and I was unable to get into the web interface, though I could ping it the whole time.  I finally realised that the SSID was changed to ciscosb and the login was reset to admin/admin (factory).  WTF I thought.  I changed the password, SSID, security, rebooted, then I upgraded to the latest firmware to "take care of things".  No more than 15 minutes later, unavailable again, and sure enough the SSID had reset again.  My wife works from home on Fridays (tomorrow) so I'm not changing it back again for fear of I have to play network engineer at home again, but I'm not going to waste any more time on this.  I guess "Small business" means it will break down all the time and you'll have to reach into your CAPEX to buy a new one.  I'm so tired of this crappy SOHO junk.  I think I go through setting up a WAP for either myself, family, or friends once a quarter and it's such a joke.  We manage so many "good, quality" WAPs and never have issues with them at work, I think I'm going to bite the bullet. I think I'm going to buy a used enterprise level Cisco WAP on ebay.