CSCef77174 is not reachable by KeyWord Searches

Answered Question
Sep 24th, 2010

Hello Bug Toolkit Support Team,

My customer was impacted by the DDTS /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} CSCef77174. I have easily found this DDTS in our internal documentation (topic).

However, when customer firstly has tried to reach which was the DDTS that was impacting him in the Bug Toolkit Tool, he was not able to find this DDTS in the Bug Toolkit. After I said the DDTS ID, he was able to find searching for the bug ID in the Bug Toolkit. He tried again using now the correct keyword search, but he was not able to find it again.

What means, he can find the bug in the Bug Toolkit using the Bug ID search, but he is not able to find it using the keywork search. I am attaching the search that cus has made.

Could you please explain this strange behavior?

Thanks a lot!

Vitor

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by rob.huffman about 6 years 3 months ago

Hi Vitor,

When you use the Default settings > under Advanced Options the search only looks

for Bugs modified in the last year. Because this is older than 1 year it won't be found.

Ask your customer to use the Custom settings with "Anytime" and it pops right up

Use  custom  settings for severity, status, and others.

Severity:
1 2 3
4 5 6
Detail Level: Bug Details include symptoms, workarounds, etc.
Show only bugs containing bug details.            

Modified Date: Any Time In Last 3 Days In Last 7 Days In Last 2 weeks In Last month In Last Year
Results Displayed Per Page: 25 50 100 200

Cheers!

Rob

Overall Rating: 5 (7 ratings)
Correct Answer
rob.huffman Fri, 09/24/2010 - 11:11

Hi Vitor,

When you use the Default settings > under Advanced Options the search only looks

for Bugs modified in the last year. Because this is older than 1 year it won't be found.

Ask your customer to use the Custom settings with "Anytime" and it pops right up

Use  custom  settings for severity, status, and others.

Severity:
1 2 3
4 5 6
Detail Level: Bug Details include symptoms, workarounds, etc.
Show only bugs containing bug details.            

Modified Date: Any Time In Last 3 Days In Last 7 Days In Last 2 weeks In Last month In Last Year
Results Displayed Per Page: 25 50 100 200

Cheers!

Rob

asolleti Wed, 09/29/2010 - 21:12

Hi Rob

Thanks for your help in answering the question.

Arun

rob.huffman Thu, 09/30/2010 - 06:30

Hey Arun,

You are most welcome my friend I thought it

was interesting why this wouldn't work for Vitor's

customer, so I spent some time trying to figure it

out. The solution didn't come until I tried searching

using the "Default' search criteria.

Cheers!

Rob

vbril Thu, 09/30/2010 - 06:48

Hello Rob,

Sorry for haven't updated you before.

Thanks a lot for your answer!!! Cus has thanked a lot too!!! He was suspecting that it could be a bug in the bug toolkit

However,with your prompt answer, we have reverted this bad impression. And cus congratulated Cisco for the efforts.

Thanks a lot one more time, my friend.

Vitor

rob.huffman Thu, 09/30/2010 - 10:38

Hi Vitor,

No worries my friend Glad to be of some small assistance here.

Cheers!

Rob

marikakis Thu, 09/30/2010 - 12:13

Hi Rob,

Bug Toolkit can't afford to have many bugs itself! +10

Kind Regards,

Maria

rob.huffman Thu, 09/30/2010 - 13:15

Hi Maria,

Hope life is treating you well these days my friend

You're so right...the Bug Toolkit cannot have Bugs! We must refer to

them as system anomalies

I feel honored to receive such a nice rating from the Forum Fairy Of Fairness.

Cheers!

Huff

marikakis Thu, 09/30/2010 - 15:41

Hi Rob and all,

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the root cause of this issue is the defaults chosen for the tool in the first place. It is common to see all results in a typical search anywhere and let user customize/restrict results if they know what they are doing. From a user's perspective, I think it is not intuitive to restrict results and then force user to select a specific option to widen those.

Kind Regards,

Maria

rob.huffman Fri, 10/01/2010 - 06:29

Hi Maria,

Excellent point my friend!

I've always used the "customized" search criteria just to cover

all the bases (Baseball Analogy ) but it would make more

sense to adjust the search to be wide open right off the bat

(another Baseball Analogy ) and be able to narrow down the

search scope if desired.

Cheers!

Huff

(+5 from the FLOF)

marikakis Fri, 10/01/2010 - 07:52

Hi Rob,

I forgot to say previously that things are better for me now. Thanks for asking and I hope you are well too. I guess my social skills sometimes drop to absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius) when I get too interested in the issue at hand! Reading your posts helps me improve though! I'll be busy the next couple of weeks, but I'll be back. That said, I have one more thing to say.

The choice of defaults in any context is not an easy design task. In routers/switches for example, designer has to balance desire for plug-and-play functionality with the need for security. So, it is typically a tradeoff and that's why I left some room for doubt of being wrong in some sense. In this case, designer might have in mind to make the default search faster for example. However, if the majority of users repeatedly need to customize a specific option, then we have a sign that there might be a problem with the default for that option. In such a case, any perceived benefits of the current default for that option are not realized anyway, user needs to do more work and people supporting the tool get into trouble. That's why feedback from users is needed in such cases.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Actions

This Discussion