Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed duplex command not availabe

suraheel-81
Level 1
Level 1

Dear

I have 1 cisco 4507 switch with line cards WS-X4606-X2-E, WS-X4448-GB-SFP, WSX4548-GB-RJ45 and super visor WS-X45-Sup6E. I have IOS 12.2(50)SG3 .

Speed auto and duplex auto is only available for the ports WSX4548-GB-RJ45.

whats is the reason behind this, i need to configure both speed and duplex as auto for other ports except RJ45, like X2 and SFPs.

thanks.

8 Replies 8

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Many optical ports do not support speed/duplex setting but other way is to use below commans

negotiation auto --> parameter fixed by negotiating with connected device

no negotiation auto--> parameter fixed as per port capability

if you want to configure speed/duplex auto use negotiation auto and also make sure other end is configured that way.

Regards

Mahesh

Dear mahesh

thanks you for the reply, but unfortunatly this command is also not available

CAT4507-DC-A(config-if)#negotiation auto
                                        ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CAT4507-DC-A(config-if)#

my IOS is enterprise services.

Please try with "speed nonegotiate" command

Regards

mahesh

dear

i already test this command, i have read from the ios guide that if this command is use with no, then speed and duplex is set to auto but it did'nt happened.

do i need to upgrade my IOS or there is some thing other problem, because these parameters are basics and is always available for every interface.

yes,

I am using same switch with IOS 12.2(44)SG1 and  these commands are supported.(speed nonegotiate)

this is the reason i advise you to use this command

regards

mahesh

I am already using upgraded version of IOS 12.2(50)SG3,

Does speed negotiation is turned off in a interface by default.

Or should we manually stop negotiation

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have 1 cisco 4507 switch with line cards WS-X4606-X2-E, WS-X4448-GB-SFP, WSX4548-GB-RJ45 and super visor WS-X45-Sup6E. I have IOS 12.2(50)SG3 .

Speed auto and duplex auto is only available for the ports WSX4548-GB-RJ45.

The reason why you can change the duplex and/or speed for the WSX4548-GB-RJ45 because it's rated for multi-speed:  10, 100 or 1000 BaseTx.

You cannot change the speed and duplex of the rest because they are rated for one and only speed:  Either 1Gb or 10Gb. 

WS-X4448-GB-SFP  - means it will negotiate only in 1Gb

WS-X4606-X2-E - means that it will only negotiate in 10Gb.

You can't even use 100-Megabit Ethernet SFP Modules or 100BASE-FX SFP because it's not supported on the  X4448.

Cisco 100-Megabit Ethernet SFP Modules Compatibility Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL632702.html#wp62767

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco