Views
Helpful
Replies

SCCP understanding

magnet_tic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to understand SCCP and how it is working with Voice gateway and CCM.

I have 1xVG (in gns3), SCCP phone (IP blue software phone) and Cisco call manager (vmware machine).

My questions are:

1. Can SCCP phone directly communicate with CCM if they are not on the same network?

2. Do I need Voice gateway if I want to communicate just between two SCCP IP phones?

3. Can my Voice gateway see the communication between SCCP IP phone and CCM (for example register message...and so on).

Thank you for your answers in advance.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1: no, will go throught a router.

2 & 3: no

Christopher Graham
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Think of SCCP as a client/server....or master/slave configuration. Your SCCP endpoints will register to CCM.  Therefore, only the endpoints and CCM are aware of the communication that takes place.  The only time a voice gateway would be involved is if CCM routes the call to the PSTN.

Does it apply for SIP IP phone as well? When two SIP IP phones communicate with their proxy servers to resolve the IPs  of each other can Voice gateway see that?

SIP works the same.

Recommend you read more documentation and books before asking basic questions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: