cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virualization for IPCC and CVP, any news?

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

Did anyone work in the virualizatoin for IPCC and CVP? In other words, is there a product for IPCC and CVP now that is working on the VMWare or applying virualization technology? As I know that Call Manager now is working as VMWare, but what about IPCC and CVP?

Regards

Bilal

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If I have a machine running ESX, so why I can not create a MS Windows virual machine, and then using the IPCCE CDs to install the IPCCE in the MS Windows virual machine?

Of course that works. I have a number of ESX servers each running the 7 or so virtual servers required for ICM (2 RedHat Linux virtual servers for CUCM and CUPS, 5 Windows 2003 virtual servers for DC/DNS, Rogger, AW/HDS, PG, CVP). This is in a lab environment and is not supported in production.  It's extremely useful to be able to use the VMware features like cloning and snapshot in a lab.

But what is implemented for production has to follow the Cisco guidelines.

Regards,

Geoff

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

UCCE 7.5 - PG supported on VMware on MCS server or equivalent.

UCCE 8.0 - CCE Supported in a virtual environment

CAD now supported in virtual environment

UCS Support - only on UCS B-series with very comprehensive instructions/specifications to be followed.

UCCE 8.5 - Virtualization support for CUIS added

UCS Support - UCS C-series

CVP 8 - UCS B-series supported (July)

Support for with or without UCS - ESX 4.0i - available shortly (possibly delayed for 8.5 FCS - November 2010)

PG and CVP on the same box using VMWare - available shortly

Cisco will continue to broaden their virtualization approach.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff and appreciate ur kindly help and advise.

But really I am facing a problem that did not understand some of the terminologies, so if possible to advise for below:

What represents exactly the CCE (in the UCCE)? Is it the Logger + Router + ICM? What about HDS and WebView?

In virualization: Where is the problem to have the PG and CVP in the same box? Can I understand that UCCE should be in a box separated than CVP box?

Also, is it possible to install Call Manager + IPCC + CVP on the same box?

From the other side, as the support with ESX 4.0i is still not released, so what kind of virualization is using for the current implemented virualization?

Regards

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

This document should answer some of your questions http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Contact_Center_Enterprise

Regards,

Liam

Hi Bilal,

This document should answer some of your questions http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Contact_Center_Enterprise

Regards,

Liam

Excellent link, Liam. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Geoff

I am wondering from something:

"Why cisco is generating special versions of IPCC to be used for virualization"?

If I have a machine running ESX, so why I can not create a MS Windows virual machine, and then using the IPCCE CDs to install the IPCCE in the MS Windows virual machine?

Already it has been tested before to install the IPCC at any hardware and using the Virual Machine .. for example, if we have a hardware that running Windows XP and then we installed VMWare in that hardware, then we can create Windows server virual machine on that VMWare to be used to install the IPCC using the IPCC CDs (generic Hadrware and using the normal IPCC CDs that we use it to do live installtion in the cisco servers). Does not work? I heared from some of friends, that it is working ...

Any advise what is the difference? And why cisco is generating special versions of IPCC to be used for virualization?

Regards

Bilal

Of course that works. I have a number of ESX servers each running the 7 or so virtual servers required for ICM (2 RedHat Linux virtual servers for CUCM and CUPS, 5 Windows 2003 virtual servers for DC/DNS, Rogger, AW/HDS, PG, CVP). This is in a lab environment and is not supported in production.  It's extremely useful to be able to use the VMware features like cloning and snapshot in a lab.

But what is implemented for production has to follow the Cisco guidelines.

Regards,

Geoff

This is fine that has to follow cisco guidelines.

But are the technical disadvantage of not following the cisco guidelines? Like what problems will happen?

Special thanks for ur kindly advise and help.

I will rate for u.

By the way: If I need to implement RSM (remote silent monitoring), do u have any document to know which RSM version to be selected to work fine with the Call Manager and ICM and CVP versions I have? The RSM software is separated CD or can be copy/paste from the CUCM or ICM or CVP?

Again, special thanks for you.

Regards

Bilal

But are the technical disadvantage of not following the cisco guidelines? Like what problems will happen?

Bilal,

In order to be able to completely order the UCCE/CVP products (to have them released from "New Product Hold") you must complete the 3 part A2Q process including a conference call with the A2Q team after the submission of part 2. This submission would include the Bill of Materials (BOM). If you tried to use a VM architecture it would be knocked back by the Cisco team.

If you submitted a false BOM and implemented a different solution, and later had a problem and contacted TAC who then discover that the solution is implemented on VMs that are outside the guidelines, Cisco could/would refuse support.

Plus you would damage your reputation as an ATP Partner.

Regards,

Geoff

2nd The A2Q mention. obviously a knowledgable participant.

Also, be advised the recommendation for Apps per VM from Cisco, particularly re UC8+ on UCS within VMWare is particularly due to the utilization and footprint of UC8 apps, and particularly ICM.

no one here will tell you "it won't work" ...There are plenty of newly minted CCIE Voice which will tell you otherwise.

However,

While I run v 7.x and 8.x code on UCS, in my UC Masters lab, The ICM boxes run on other hosts, as they are much too high utilization to stack up on a single Host, within VMs.

e.g.

2 - blades = CUCM Pub / Sub 1 / Unity Cxn / CUPS

2 - blades = Unity / MP8app / Webex Node / CM Sub 2

So, 2:1 consolidation still, and at Cisco prices, that's a considerable savings over a large deployment.

Also EIM/WIM is extremely high memory utilization, so it would benefit from it's own powerful platform, even in a lab scenario, let alone in a large call center, or production help-desk capacity.

Refer to UCCE sizing tool, to determine VM footprint at 2:1 consolidation ratio.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: