cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch port

dlee_gmail
Level 1
Level 1

hi! i checked some of my switches' log in a small branch office. Most of the switches showed the message below (different port), showing that the interface is up and down. Will the user's pc restart or shutdown/powerup causes this? There are about 4 switches (2950), only the root bridge of vlan 1(flat network) that i did not see these errors. What could be the causes for this?  I checked the cpu and memory of the sw and there are always low.

Sep 24 21:22:10.455 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/8, changed state to up
Sep 24 21:22:15.856 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/8, changed state to down
Sep 24 21:22:16.864 GMT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/8, changed state to down
Sep 24 21:38:01.679 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/5, changed state to down
Sep 24 21:38:02.683 GMT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/5, changed state to down
Sep 24 21:38:06.087 GMT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/5, changed state to up
Sep 24 21:38:07.087 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/5, changed state to up
Sep 25 00:07:07.596 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to down
Sep 25 00:07:09.600 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to up
Sep 25 00:07:28.653 GMT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to down

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

dlee_gmail
Level 1
Level 1

hi! Let me know how can i troubleshoot this issue. Thx.

Are your users complaining of intermittent connectvity ?

I ask because these sort of log messages are perfectly normal. Yes, if a user reboots their laptop you will see these messages in your logs, they are nothing out of the ordinary. However if the same users are havng issues on the network then they could be symptoms of the problem.

In short, no complaints then nothing to worry about.

Jon

hi! some of the users are having issue connecting to our corporate email. the users are not required to key in their pwd and username to outlook once they login to windows. I suspect that they might be some intermittent issue with the connection in the lan itself or high latency in the wan link. In some of these sw port, when i show the interface, i can see that there are Input errors, CRC and frame.

One thing i noticed is that i did not see any of this up/down msg in my 4506 switch. I only see this in the remote site using 2950. Is it some logging or feature that has been turned on or there's an issue with the sw. What can be done to further troubleshoot this? thx.

Are the errors incrementing?  If so are they incrementing constantly?

If the users connect and disconnect the physical LAN cable from their PC's it can induce these sorts of errors briefly.  But they won't be constatntly incrementing.  Constantly incrementing CRC and Frame errors are typical of mismathces in the duplex between the switch and the PC.  Are the switch ports set up for Auto on the speed and duplex?  Are the user's PC's configured to autosense speed and duplex or have they been hard coded?

HTH,

John

Hi Dave,

This does not necessarily mean an issue.  Every time you plug a PC to a port, it will log the activity of the port.  And as you noted, if you have device plugged into a port, when you reboot it the port will go in up and down.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card