Peer Group on a Route Reflector

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all experts.

I have 3 Routers connected in triangle.

R1 -> R2

R1 -> R3

All 3 routers are running bgp AS 10. R1 is serving as the route-reflector for R2 and R3. Following is the configuration i have done on R1

router bgp 10
bgp log-neighbor-changes
neighbor IBGP-RR-CLIENTS peer-group
neighbor IBGP-RR-CLIENTS remote-as 10
neighbor 12.0.0.2 peer-group IBGP-RR-CLIENTS
neighbor 13.0.0.3 peer-group IBGP-RR-CLIENTS

Now when i configure this

R1-RR(config-router)#neighbor 12.0.0.2 route-reflector-client
% Invalid command for a peer-group member
R1-RR(config-router)#

Why is this so ? what is the workaround instead of adding route-reflector-client command under peer group.

Kindly someone explain me the reason and also what shall i do to solve it.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kostas Kyriakos
Level 1
Level 1

Adding to what Jon Marshall suggested, in order to have just one peer reflecting routes you need to create a separate peer-group that does exactly that. Something like the following:

router bgp 10
bgp log-neighbor-changes

neighbor IBGP-RR-CLIENTS route-reflector-client

neighbor IBGP-nonRR-CLIENTS peer-group
neighbor IBGP-nonRR-CLIENTS remote-as 10

neighbor 13.0.0.3 peer-group IBGP-nonRR-CLIENTS

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Jonn.cos88 wrote:

Dear Jon,

Kindly dont apologize, its because of you guys and your help that i come here and ask my confusions. I dont have enough words to say thank you :-)

Now regarding the post, yes i know that i can apply it under peer group, but i dont want to, instead i want to apply it individually to neighbors. As you can see, its giving me error. Is it because that the outbound policy for all peer group members should be same ? is it because of this reason i am getting this error ?

Kindly guide me

Yes, it's because you have assigned that neighbor to a peer-group and so the attributes must be the same. If you want to only make one neighbor a route-reflector you can either -

1) don't assign that neighbor to a peer-group

or

2) do as KF suggested in this thread and have a separate peer-group that has the same attributes as the original peer-group but includes route-reflection

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonn.cos88 wrote:

All 3 routers are running bgp AS 10. R1 is serving as the route-reflector for R2 and R3. Following is the configuration i have done on R1

router bgp 10
bgp log-neighbor-changes
neighbor 13.0.0.3 peer-group IBGP-RR-CLIENTS

Now when i configure this

R1-RR(config-router)#neighbor 12.0.0.2 route-reflector-client
% Invalid command for a peer-group member
R1-RR(config-router)#

Why is this so ? what is the workaround instead of adding route-reflector-client command under peer group.

Jon

the command should be -

By the way, apologies again for the misleading info on the "clear ip bgp x.x.x.x in" thread.

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon

Just reread post - when you say -

are you saying you know you can apply it the way i have indicated and you don't want to ?

Jon

Dear Jon,

Kindly dont apologize, its because of you guys and your help that i come here and ask my confusions. I dont have enough words to say thank you :-)

Now regarding the post, yes i know that i can apply it under peer group, but i dont want to, instead i want to apply it individually to neighbors. As you can see, its giving me error. Is it because that the outbound policy for all peer group members should be same ? is it because of this reason i am getting this error ?

Kindly guide me

Jonn.cos88 wrote:

Dear Jon,

Kindly guide me

Yes, it's because you have assigned that neighbor to a peer-group and so the attributes must be the same. If you want to only make one neighbor a route-reflector you can either -

1) don't assign that neighbor to a peer-group

or

2) do as KF suggested in this thread and have a separate peer-group that has the same attributes as the original peer-group but includes route-reflection

Jon

Kostas Kyriakos
Level 1
Level 1

Adding to what Jon Marshall suggested, in order to have just one peer reflecting routes you need to create a separate peer-group that does exactly that. Something like the following:

router bgp 10
bgp log-neighbor-changes

neighbor IBGP-nonRR-CLIENTS peer-group
neighbor IBGP-nonRR-CLIENTS remote-as 10

neighbor 13.0.0.3 peer-group IBGP-nonRR-CLIENTS

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: