SSID for APs moving among different WLC

Unanswered Question
Sep 26th, 2010

Hi, I have 2 queries.

1-

I have two controllers, WLC1 and WLC2 in my setup. AP1 has WLC1 as Primary and WLC2 as backup controller in the HA settings.

In WLC1 i have defined an AP GROUP1 and added SSDI X, Y, Z in it. Then moved AP1 to this AP group. So AP1 is broadcasting these three SSIDs.

Now in case WLC1 goes down and AP1 moves to WLC2. On WLC2 i have AP GROUP2 , having only SSID X and Y. So now as AP1 is on WLC2 will it only advertise X and Y or keep on advertising its parents SSIDs, i,e; X, Y, Z ?

2-

If i manualy move AP from one WLC to other by changing settings in HA tab, does it disconnect clinet sessions associated to that AP?

Thanks much.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Surendra BG Sun, 09/26/2010 - 23:48

Hi Munawar,

1-

I have two controllers, WLC1 and WLC2 in my setup. AP1 has WLC1 as Primary and WLC2 as backup controller in the HA settings.

In  WLC1 i have defined an AP GROUP1 and added SSDI X, Y, Z in it. Then  moved AP1 to this AP group. So AP1 is broadcasting these three SSIDs.

Now  in case WLC1 goes down and AP1 moves to WLC2. On WLC2 i have AP GROUP2 ,  having only SSID X and Y. So now as AP1 is on WLC2 will it only  advertise X and Y or keep on advertising its parents SSIDs, i,e; X, Y, Z  ?

ANS -

When a AP moves from one WLC to another, the AP will broadcast what ever the SSID which is there on the moved WLC.. So in your case.. when the AP 1 moves to WLC 2, then the AP1 will broadcast the SSID which is there on WLC2, that is.. the SSID x and y. Z will not be broadcasted when there is no Z ssid on WLC2. we need to apply the AP group to the AP.

2-

If  i manualy move AP from one WLC to other by changing settings in HA tab,  does it disconnect clinet sessions associated to that AP?

ANS -

Just Changing the HA table will not cause anything.. If the Primary WLC goes down, at this time the AP joins the Secondary WLC.. this time.. the AP will be reboot and then it will register to the secondary WLC... So the time interval between the AP reboot and then registering back to the Secondary WLC.. you will experiecne a outage. after AP registering, the AP starts broadcasting the SSID..

I hope the above answered your questions..

Let me know if the above was not clear!!

Regards

Surendra

Actions

This Discussion