cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509- Image is supposed to support CAR- comes up with error.

gregwoodson
Level 1
Level 1

Im using image s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin on a 6509.  I get the following error when trying to rate-limit an interface:

"Rate-limit command is not supported in hardware  use service-policy command"

Does anyone have insight as to why rate limiting is not supported?  Is there a different version of code I should be looking at?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gregwoodson wrote:

Im using image s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin on a 6509.  I get the following error when trying to rate-limit an interface:

"Rate-limit command is not supported in hardware  use service-policy command"

Does anyone have insight as to why rate limiting is not supported?  Is there a different version of code I should be looking at?

Which interface are you trying to apply rate-limiting ie.

1) is it a L2 switchport or a L3 routed port

2) which linecard are you trying to apply it on

what is the actual command you are using ?

Jon

on a VLAN Actually (so layer 3)- I have not tried it on a physical routing interface or switchport interface.  The exact configs are:

rate-limit input 10000000 512000 512000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 10000000 512000 512000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Hello Greg,

I would say that the error message is clear

>> Rate-limit command is not supported in hardware  use service-policy command

you should use a service-policy that is modular QoS

if in a policy-map you invoke the police command you are actually emulating CAR with modular QoS

policy-map police-all

class class-default

police 10000000 ! other parameters here

int vlan XX

service-policy in police-all

Hope to help

Giuseppe

So why would the Software Advisor say that the image supports CAR, but you have to emulate it using Modular QoS?  It would be much simpler for me to use the rate-limit command.

Greg

Because it does support CAR just not on all interface types.

Jon

Is there something somewhere that shows what types of interfaces are supported and which arent?  That's actually very useful information- I just want to make sure we are doing this the correct way to eliminate problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco