cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000V Serial Number

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

Can someone please tell me how the 1000V gets its serial number?  I have a few I need to register the license PAK and they all seem to have the same serial number.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mmehta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

There was a known issue when installing VSM through OVA format a few months ago. This has been addressed in latest uploads to Cisco.com and newer software versions as well. Could you please let us know if you are installing through OVA and when did you download it.

Munish.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mmehta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

There was a known issue when installing VSM through OVA format a few months ago. This has been addressed in latest uploads to Cisco.com and newer software versions as well. Could you please let us know if you are installing through OVA and when did you download it.

Munish.

Munish,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes an OVA file that is a few months old was used.  Can you please let me know how to fix the SN (without a reinstall)?

/r

Rob

Hi Robert,

unfortunately the only way to fix SN will be to reinstall using the newer OVA file.

regards,

Munish.

On a related note, where do you find a serial number to open a case with tac on the n1000v?

I just dealt with opening a tac case with the 1000v.

I tried to open a case with TAC on the 1000v.  I couldn’t do this using the serial number of the device (using show inventory, or show license host-id).  You actually need to reference the PAK to open up this case and associate the service contract with your account.

To get the PAK you can use the following command:

show license file license-name

The numbers after is what you should reference.  They can pull up the service contract this way.

FINALLY! someone with an answer that is useful for the serial number. Too bad my PAK isn't covered by our smartnet contract for what is supposedly 1000v coverage

Thank you for the info - too bad Cisco Internally doesn't know this to well......

Carl,

All the details of licenses, support, PAK redemption are found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4/license/configuration/guide/n1000v_license.pdf

If you had called Cisco Licensing and they still had troubles assisting you, our sincere apologies.  The Nexus 1000v licensing is a little different than other Cisco products, and sometimes this causes confusion with our Licensing team.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: