Simultaneous Wired and Wireless Conns

Unanswered Question
Sep 27th, 2010

Does the Cisco wireless LAN solution include a mechanism by which a client PC is prohibited from associating to an AP if it is already connected to the wired network?

My thought is that it does not - and probably no one's does. How would the AP or the controller have any knowledge of whether a client PC has a hard-wired comnnection to the LAN? I would think that this is an endpoint responsibility. The PC's OS will select the wired connection over the wireless.

Thoughts?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 09/27/2010 - 15:37

Hi Victor,

Does the Cisco wireless LAN solution include a mechanism by which a client PC is prohibited from associating to an AP if it is already connected to the wired network?

Yes it does.

Security > Wireless Protection Policies > Rogue Policies > General > Auto Contain > Rogue on Wire

By default, this option is disabled.

The PC's OS will select the wired connection over the wireless.

Some laptops/netbooks BIOS has this disabled.  IF you have both wired and wireless the client's BIOS will choose wired.

Is this what you are looking for?

lamav Mon, 09/27/2010 - 16:43

Leo, thanks.

Im not sure I understand.

This chain of menu options exists on which appliance?And when it mentiond "rogue," which device is it referring to?

And how would the controller or WAP (whichever component it is that has that menu option) know if a PC is connected to the wired environment when it tries to associate to a WAP and get on the wireless LAN?

Thanks

Leo Laohoo Mon, 09/27/2010 - 17:40

This chain of menu options exists on which appliance?And when it mentiond "rogue," which device is it referring to?

Oh cwappp!  I forgot to mention that this menu is for a Wireless LAN Controller.  Not sure how you can go about with an autonomous (or stand-alone) AP.

Rogue Management in a Unified Wireless Network

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080b40901.shtml

Frank Wagner Mon, 09/27/2010 - 23:38

Hello,

if you are running Windows XP, you are able to create several "Hardware Profiles".

Now you are able to activate / deactivate your hardware per profile in the device manager and choose the profile you want to boot.

If you have a Laptop in a docking station it's even more easier, because Windows automatically creates

different hardware profiles for "in docking station" and "not in docking station" and the right profile is

automatically loaded at system boot.

Unfortunatelly this feature was canceled from Microsoft since Windows Vista, so if you are running Vista or Windows 7,

there is (as far as i know and concerning Windows onboard tools) no other way as manually activate or deactivate the specific (w)lan connections.

Perhaps  there is third party software provided, which can handle this, but i don't know some.

Greetings Frank

Actions

This Discussion