Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8961 is not in the list of phones for Call Manager

alalli
Level 2
Level 2

Good Day All,

I am trying to load an 8961 Cisco SIP phone into Cisco Call Manager version 7.0.2

The idea behind the task is for the phone to get is SEP<max>.cnf.xml file from the call manager.

Once I have this file on the phone,  I hope to manually configure the phone to work with a third party IP PBX application.

Hopefully,  getting call manager to load the phone will be a matter of downloading and installing the phone load software for the 8961.

Is that correct please?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Amanda Lalli-Cafini

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need a newer version of UCM to get support for this phone. The minimum is 7.1(3b) I believe.

As for support with a third-party PBX: good luck with that. The phones use proprietary SIP extensions to control a fair amount of its behavior.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need a newer version of UCM to get support for this phone. The minimum is 7.1(3b) I believe.

As for support with a third-party PBX: good luck with that. The phones use proprietary SIP extensions to control a fair amount of its behavior.

Good Day Jonathan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my message.

The phone had been purchased by another group within my organisation and they were hoping to impress the client with the range of phones.

I will let them know that this model uses proprietary SIP extensions and see if they still want to proceed putting the model forward.

I actually advised against it last week citing that the ongoing administration of the phone on the third party PABX would not work so well.

Regards,

Amanda

They never listen.

The only Cisco phones that are "RFC compliant" (ie. nothing proprietary) are the original 7940/7960. Everything recent has extensions to add features that supposidly do not exist in the RFCs. I doubt the 7940/7960 would impress anyone these days and EoS has been announced anyways.

EDIT: I should be a little more restrained in my 'good luck' comment. Provided you can figure out the XML file, basic RFC3261 call functionality should work. I expect that there will be things you can't do though, such as Divert, which AFAIK does not use a standard REFER message

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: