cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3945 with SFP - full duplex possible?

kluehspiesp
Level 1
Level 1

My provider (Deutsche Telekom) is only able to hand over a 1Gbps-Link with speed und full-duplex configured fix.

To force the router (cisco 3945) for 1000/full, I had to remove the 'media-type sfp'

SFP is MM-SX on Router-Interface Gi0/2

This configuration worked a while but shows many interface resets (more than 30 in one minute).

Telekom confirmed, their connection is working properly.

After switching the router off an on, I could no longer connect with telnet or ssh. Ping is also not successful but cdp shows the neighbor router!?!

Maybe this is a problem with SFP and duplex configuration.

Any ideas?

15 Replies 15

Hello,
with Gigabit there is only full. But it could also be the software. A customer of us has had almost the same problems and by a software update the problem was repaired.

my problem is that my cisco router 3845-MB has its interface gig0/0 down. admistratively down. the ios version is the 12.4(20)T4 ,do i upgrade the version? if yes which one doesnt have a such bug.

thanks to reply

mbrunton77
Level 1
Level 1

have you tried the command speed nonegotiate under the interface?

*speed nonegotiate* is not available to configure

Software-Update to 151-2.T1 did not solve the issue, either :-(

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A GLC-SX-MM will always negotiate to full 1G.

kluehspiesp
Level 1
Level 1

After replacing the 3945 with a 3845 the Link is up and running - without any 'interface resets'

Hi, I'm facing a similar issue with a 3845 with GLC-SX-MM module trying to connect at 100Mbps with a telco device. Documentations says 'media-type sfp' defaults to 1Gig, and only changing to 'media-type rj45' would allow me to set 100Mbps instead. Any clue what should I do in order to allow speed compatibility with this telco device ? Follows the current interface config:

Interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description ---

bandwidth 100000

no ip address

duplex auto

speed 1000

media-type sfp

negotiation auto

Hi,

with IOS version 15.0(1)M4 the Gig interface can be left on speed/duplex autosensing mode. Its default is to connect with 1000/full, again.

IOS versions before connected with half-duplex.

The new software fixed the Bug CSCtj35792

the command 'no negotiation auto' should fix your issue

on a 3845

In order to connect to a 100BaseFX link, you will need to install a GLC-GE-100FX SFP module in your 3945 switch.  This 100M SFP module is designed to be installed in a GE SFP slot.

If, in the future, you want to support GE on the 3945 switch's port, you will have to change the SFP to a compatible GE module.

Hope this helps!

Tom

the request was to connect a 1000/full link.

After the software update it works without any problems

Did Router 3945 SFP Port support SFP-10G-LR, How to define it ?

You can check the compatibility documents to find out which pluggable optics modules are supported on your platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_device_support_tables_list.html

It does not list any 10Gbps pluggable optics options for the 3945 router.