Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP on 4510R-E

Vinny
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

simple question. I want to use WCCP for web caching/filtring on my Cisco 4510R-E. Problem is, this switch is only layer 2...all routing is done via Checkpoint firewalls connected to this switch.

My question is : does my switch needs to be the gateway/router to use WCCP  or it can work only on layer 2 ?

I've read a lot of doc but I never found this anwser.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Masker
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this is a layer 3 feature. WCCP uses IP redirection to achieve transparent redirecting to a proxy server.

One way you could accomplish this, if you really want to keep the majority of routing in your checkpoint firewalls is to create an external transport network on the outside of the firewalls and add one hop through a layer 3 interface on the 4510 before handoff to your ISP.  You would have to either have your proxy server outside the firewall (probably not the best idea) or allow special access back in for proxy hits. Of course this complicates your configuration because you need to follow certain conventions to share a device between security contexts like that securely.

My personal preference would be to let the ckeckpoint devices focus on firewalling and bring routing back into the 4510, but this may not be a good fit for your scenario.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jason Masker
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this is a layer 3 feature. WCCP uses IP redirection to achieve transparent redirecting to a proxy server.

One way you could accomplish this, if you really want to keep the majority of routing in your checkpoint firewalls is to create an external transport network on the outside of the firewalls and add one hop through a layer 3 interface on the 4510 before handoff to your ISP.  You would have to either have your proxy server outside the firewall (probably not the best idea) or allow special access back in for proxy hits. Of course this complicates your configuration because you need to follow certain conventions to share a device between security contexts like that securely.

My personal preference would be to let the ckeckpoint devices focus on firewalling and bring routing back into the 4510, but this may not be a good fit for your scenario.

thank you for anwser !!!

I'll look into this

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card