Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 dual WAN capable?

I have just been assigned to configure a Cisco 881 router. It only has a single WAN port interface which I configured to our primary ISP. We have a secondary ISP via cable modem and would like to configure the CON/AUX port as the second WAN. Is this possible? If so, how do i configure it? And can I also configure out-going load balancing for the dual WAN? I would like to have the primary WAN handle 100% of the outgoing traffic, but if it fails, have the outgoing traffic use the seconday WAN. I also have configured NAT and I'm forwarding several ports to a server (e.g. web, email, imap, etc.), I would need this also for the secondary WAN. NOTE: I configured the router using Cisco CP Express, but can use the CLI if need be.

1 Reply 1

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot use the con/aux port as a secondary ethernet wan port.

Keep in mind that even using the built in switchports as wan ports would introduce many many feature limitations as well, so that is not something I would recommend either.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: