Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we use Dell 6248 switch substitute of Cisco 4507R switch

aminulnt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Right now we are using Cisco 4507R as a core switch and Cisco 3560 using as an access switch in other floor. We configured inter Vlan routing, VTP, port security, Qos, STP, Trunk and Ether channel. Now we perched a Dell6248 switch for redundant of Cisco 4507R switch. Can any one let us know is it possible to connect Dell 6248 with all other Cisco 3560.Can we configure all of thing (inter Vlan routing, VTP, port security, Qos, STP, Trunk and Ether channel) which we configured in Cisco 4507 switch. Would be appreciated if any let us your views. Please have a look attachment for our diagram.

Regards,

Aminul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

one clarification, I said you need to convert the switches.  That's not really what I meant.  You need to be aware of the difference between PVST and a single spanning tree. If you have multiple connections to the switches it could cause issues.  The safest way would be to run Multiple spanning tree on the Cisco switch.  But, there are other options.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Aminul,

VTP is Cisco proprietary protocol and does not work with other venders product.  If you are doing Etherchannel, you need to run LACP in order for it to work with other venders product. STP, Trunk, QOS could be fine, but you have to read Dell's documentation and test it to make sure they are compatible.

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you. Can you tell me please ,If I don’t configure VTP is there any problem to communicate with tow (6248 to 3560) switch. Right now we have one vlan for data and one vlan for voice in every switch and all of are connected with core 4507R switch. Core (4507R) switch has six vlan for voice and data. I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards

Aminul

Hi Aminul,

You shouldn't have any problem since VTP will not pass through the trunk to the Dell switch, but you should test it before putting it in production to make sure everything works.

HTH

Reza

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone already answered many of the questions, but one MAJOR one is not answered.  If you are using Per Vlan Spanning tree, you would need to convert all switches that are connecting to the Dell to something else.  PVST is a Cisco protocol.  Most vendors use a single spanning tree for all VLANS.

Hi Danrya

I am appreciating your valuable explanation. You award me a new inspiration. Should I change anything else (inter Vlan routing, port security, QoS, Trunk and Ether channel) Thank you so muck again.

Regards

Aminul

one clarification, I said you need to convert the switches.  That's not really what I meant.  You need to be aware of the difference between PVST and a single spanning tree. If you have multiple connections to the switches it could cause issues.  The safest way would be to run Multiple spanning tree on the Cisco switch.  But, there are other options.

Hi Danrya

Your artical is so clear to understand and useful

Thanks

Aminul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: