ESW-520-24p not able to connect to a Catalyst 3560G + compatible with SPA942?

Answered Question
Sep 28th, 2010

Hi all,

a customer purchased a ESW-520-24p to be used in a VoIP project. Today we had difficulties connecting it to a Catalyst 3650G switch; We've tried setting the port to trunk, general, customer and access and changed all sorts of VLAN settings on the 3560G switch to no avail: the switches just wont interconnect. While sniffing we saw that ARP requests are even not answered, so something is wrong on a low level, probably with VLAN-ing.

Anyone any idea if these switches should be able to be interconnected and if yes, what needs to be done to do so?

Secondly; voice will be on seperate VLAN and the client will use SPA942 phones, which have an internal switch that allows to connect a PC to it. I've used this phoned successfully with Catalyst Express switches and I didn't have to do anything for VLAN-ing, this worked "out of the box". Can anyone confirm that these phones work with the Small Business switches as well?

Thx!!

Bart

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by David Hornstein about 6 years 2 months ago

Hi Bart,

I quickly set up the simulation.  It took me longer to write this than actually do the work.

I grabbed  my handy Cisco 3560 catalyst switch.  I plugged FastEthernet  port 23 plugged into my UC520.  My Uc520 is my voice system and DHCP server.

I have FastEthernet port 24 plugged  from my Cisco 3560  into my ESW540-24P.  On port 3 of my ESW540-24P  switch I plugged a SPA962 phone..

I guess my simulation is close enough to your hardware.  Configuration should be identical I would guess.

Here is the configuration of my Cisco 3560 switch;

interface FastEthernet0/23

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport autostate exclude

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0/24

switchport mode trunk

interface Vlan1

ip address 192.168.10.3 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan100     (VLAN100 is terminated on my UC520 and has the DHCP scope)

no ip address

!

interface Vlan200

no ip address

!

Check that spanning tree isn't blocking any uplink ports with the command show spanning-tree. I ask you to try this as i must admit that that uplink to my UC520 was in a BLK state on the default VLAN.  THIS I HAD TO FIX .

I plugged my SPA962 phone onto my ESW switch, it powered up.

Since VLAN 100 is my voice VLAN, I had to manually adjusted what VLAN the SPA phone will reside in.  Otherwise it will try to pick up a IP address from the default VLAN.

• On the SPA phone I manually pressing the setting key (underneath the envelope button)
  • Scroll down and selected  'Network'
  • Scroll down again  to the VLAN option  and select  edit.
  • I altered the setting  to select Enable VLAN  Yes.
  • Select the OK button.
  • I then scrolled down to the VLAN ID option.
  • Selected  the edit softkey to edit the VLAN ID information.
  • I inputed 100 in  and selected OK.

My phone received a IP address from my VLAN 100 a 10.1.1.X address.

Luckily the ESW520  has a pretty good GUI , whereby you can add a new vlan and trunk it to all ports.

Here is an example of how I added vlan 200 to the ESW switch and started to add the switch ports as Tagged ports.  I have to do this to all ports where you need the VLAN.

I then as seen below add my new VLAN as a Tagged port to all switch ports.

You can see from my screen shot below that I was adding VLAN 200 to interface G2  as a tagged interface.

REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR CONFIGURATIONS ON BOTH THE 3560 and the ESW520

hope this helps

regards Dave

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
David Hornstein Sun, 10/10/2010 - 21:31

Hi Bart,

I quickly set up the simulation.  It took me longer to write this than actually do the work.

I grabbed  my handy Cisco 3560 catalyst switch.  I plugged FastEthernet  port 23 plugged into my UC520.  My Uc520 is my voice system and DHCP server.

I have FastEthernet port 24 plugged  from my Cisco 3560  into my ESW540-24P.  On port 3 of my ESW540-24P  switch I plugged a SPA962 phone..

I guess my simulation is close enough to your hardware.  Configuration should be identical I would guess.

Here is the configuration of my Cisco 3560 switch;

interface FastEthernet0/23

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0/24

switchport mode trunk

interface Vlan1

ip address 192.168.10.3 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan100     (VLAN100 is terminated on my UC520 and has the DHCP scope)

no ip address

!

interface Vlan200

no ip address

!

Check that spanning tree isn't blocking any uplink ports with the command show spanning-tree. I ask you to try this as i must admit that that uplink to my UC520 was in a BLK state on the default VLAN.  THIS I HAD TO FIX .

I plugged my SPA962 phone onto my ESW switch, it powered up.

Since VLAN 100 is my voice VLAN, I had to manually adjusted what VLAN the SPA phone will reside in.  Otherwise it will try to pick up a IP address from the default VLAN.

• On the SPA phone I manually pressing the setting key (underneath the envelope button)
  • Scroll down and selected  'Network'
  • Scroll down again  to the VLAN option  and select  edit.
  • I altered the setting  to select Enable VLAN  Yes.
  • Select the OK button.
  • I then scrolled down to the VLAN ID option.
  • Selected  the edit softkey to edit the VLAN ID information.
  • I inputed 100 in  and selected OK.

My phone received a IP address from my VLAN 100 a 10.1.1.X address.

Luckily the ESW520  has a pretty good GUI , whereby you can add a new vlan and trunk it to all ports.

Here is an example of how I added vlan 200 to the ESW switch and started to add the switch ports as Tagged ports.  I have to do this to all ports where you need the VLAN.

I then as seen below add my new VLAN as a Tagged port to all switch ports.

You can see from my screen shot below that I was adding VLAN 200 to interface G2  as a tagged interface.

REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR CONFIGURATIONS ON BOTH THE 3560 and the ESW520

hope this helps

regards Dave

bartconinckx Mon, 10/11/2010 - 00:55

David,

awesome thx!

While applying your solution I noticed that the data network on the 3560 was configured by someone else to be located on VLAN 10, instead of VLAN 1 (which was in my head). After adjusting that and adding this VLAN to the trunk ports, things were all right.

Thx again for your efforts!!!

B.

David Hornstein Mon, 10/11/2010 - 07:37

Hi B.

Pleasure.  .Glad my posting acted to get you thinking about what you were seeing on the Cisco 3560.

regards Dave

Flavio Boniforti Mon, 01/16/2012 - 07:09

Hello David,

I'm wanting to have port "g12" on my ESW-520 to be a trunk port, on which need to have VLANs 1, 2 and 100 flowing through it.

First of all, a question besides this: how do I remotely check (GUI or CLI) if that port is not connected?

Then, back to my quest...

The VLANs are already setup.

I went to "Port to VLAN" and went through every VLAN ID, editing g12 interface and selecting "Tagged" for each VLAN.

Then I went to "VLAN to Port" and I saw that g12 already was defined as "Trunk" and when clicking on the drop-down list I was seeing 1U-2T-100T...

Should this be sufficient?

Thanks and kind regards,

F.

Actions

This Discussion