cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does 6509 VSS support VPC?

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I thought only Nexus support VPC where you can uplink to two different physical switches and bundle them together (LAG).

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Specifically speaking the 6500 series does not support VPC. In the 6500 you can use VSS.

Thanks Colin!

But VSS wouldn't allow you to connect (2) ports to (2) different physical switches and configure a Port Channel or VPC.  Am I Correct?

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

vPC is virtual port channel, and allows a port channel to cross 2 chassis.  Since VSS takes 2 chassis and makes them 1 logical chassis, it basically does the same thing, without the added configuration.

Just create the VSS system.  Then create a portchannel with ports in both chassis.  Thats it!

Or are you asking if you can create a vPC using multiple VSS systems (not one system)?

Dan

Danrya,

What I am trying to understand is if I can connect (2) ports from 6509 (VSS) and connect to (2) different Upstream Physical switches not running VSS and configure Port Channel.

Yes as long as the port channels are didicated to each upstream switch. 2 different channels for 2 different switches  Not shared between them.

That I know would work fine, but I am thinking of (1) port channel with two physical port from Cisco 6509 (VSS) going to (2) different upstream switches. The two upstream switches are not VSS, and connected via Fiber as a Layer II.  I don't think it is doable.

I am afraid not.  You have a divided control plane issue coordinating traffic back and forth.  Now vPC on the other hand should work since it is not being handled like a port channel.

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately, unless the upstream switches are VSS or Nexus, no.  All ports on each end of the Port Channel must reside in the same "control plane" or the switches must support vPC. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: