cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 1900 Firmware

lovelobster
Level 1
Level 1

I think I just made a big mistake. Im studying for the CCENT and I purchased a catalyst 1900 (WS-C1924-A) and a 2501 router from Ebay.  Using Tera Term and a rollover cable I was successfully able to connect to the console port of the router and configure the terminal. Next I attached the same rollover cable to the console port on the 1900 switch. After the POST all that would appear on Tera Term was ATQ0H0 and ATQ0Z0. So after many hours I found out that hold down the MODE button on the switch and power cycle the switch I would be put directly in to Cisco Systems Diagnostic Console.

Diagnostic Console  - Systems Engineering

Operation firmware version:  9.00.04   Status: valid

Boot firmware version:  3.10

[C] Continue with standard system start up

[U] Upgrade operation firmware (XMODEM)

[S] System debug interface

This worked just fine and the text was displayed correct on the screen. I tried this command [R] Reset main console RS232 interface to 9600,8,1,N but this didnt fix the ATQ0H0 problem I was having. Then I had the bright idea to [U] Upgrade operation firmware (XMODEM) even though I didnt have a upgrade file. And this is what happened below.

Diagnostic Console  - Systems Engineering

Operation firmware version:  0.00.00   Status: invalid

Boot firmware version:  3.10

WARNING!!! Operation firmware is invalid.

Upgrade firmware to enable switch operation.

[U] Upgrade operation firmware (XMODEM)

[S] System debug interface

What options do I have to fix this?

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Go here  and get your image   then use Xmodem   to download the image into  switch.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/1900-standard/

Thank you so much! That worked just as you said.

Now that I have the firmware installed again, Im still getting the ATQ0H0 and ATQ0Z0 output from the console port. I dont think it is a cable issue because the same cable is used correctly for the console on a router. I read that the AT commands are modem commands. Can you give me any suggestions in how I can connect to the console and start to configure the switch. thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card