cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

windows 7 cant connect behind cisco 7940/7960

jerry.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

i have a couple computers on my network that are having problems connecting to the network behind our cisco phones. This morning a user brought their computer in for an upgrade to windows 7 from vista. the laptop has worked fine behind the phone but after the windows 7 install the PC doesnt not recognize the network connection. it says "network cable unplugged".

i can remove the network cable from my SW port on my 7960 and plug it directly into the windows 7 PC and it works perfectly. i also tested the PC connection behind two different 7940. i was thinking it could be the firmware on the 7940 (win 7 users model) but it happens on my 7960 too.

i forced the PC to use full duplex 100, 10 half duplex etc.. i tried every combination possible.

i even made sure the switch port and the PC duplex settings were the same.

i made sure the network card has the latest drivers.

the two computer with problems are a HP and a Toshiba.

i am running CUCM7.1

any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Shane Kirby
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the exact version of cucm? What is the 7940/60 phone load version? What is the model of switch to which the phone is connected? What version is the switch running? What does the switch port config look like for the port on which the phone is connected?

Posted from my mobile device.

Active Load ID    SCCP70.9-0-3S

Cisco Unified CM Administration

System version: 7.1.5.31900-3

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(46)SE

, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Model number                    : WS-C3560-48PS-S

interface FastEthernet0/25

description JM Ph

switchport access vlan 11

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 15

switchport priority extend cos 1

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape  10  0  0  0

priority-queue out

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip cisco-phone

spanning-tree portfast

end

Shannon Sutter
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried a different cable from the 79XX pc port to the Laptop? Could be a bad cable.

i tested the cable with our tester. the computer had the same problem behind three different phones in two different offices.

I wish it was the cable.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should not happen, update phone firmware, and PC network drivers.

Jerry,

SCCP70.9-0-3S is a phone load for a 7970 model IP phone.

Your subject and original problem description indicated this issue was observed with the 7940/60 model phones.  The 7940/60 model phones have a similar code base, but the 7970 is of a different code base.

What is the phone load version being used by the 7940/60 phones?

You should try the latest available phone load for those models which is 8.1.2 (aka P00308010200).

Does this problem also occur if you plug the Windows 7 PC into the back of a 7970 model phone running SCCP70.9-0-3S?

I also agree that upgrading the NIC drivers would be a good thing to try.

Shane

Shane - It is a 7970 not a 7960, my bad.

we had to downgrade the realtek driver to an older version that came out in 2008.

Jerry

jerry.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

we had to down grade the NIC driver on the PC from this;

Windows 7 card driver –

Realtek PCIe Family Controller

Driver provider - Realtek

Driver date – 11/5/2009

Driver version – 7.9.1105.2009

to this

Windows 7 card driver –

Realtek PCIe Family Controller

Driver provider - Realtek

driver date - 2/26/2008

driver version - 7.2.1127.2008

we found the realtek driver on an old forum.

thanks for the input everyone.

Jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: