cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N settings to use as a range extender

bill
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple wireless network that works very well except for one of our office rooms that is too far to receive the signal reliably.  So I purchased a WAP3310N to operate as a range extender.  I have tried many ways to configure this device, but I cannot get it to work in any mode.  I can pick up the signal just fine, but it will not relay the original wireless signal.  Specifically, it will not give me an IP address.  Would you please advise exactly how the 4410 should be configured?  Also, should I use the same SSID name or create a new one for the 4410 so as not to confuse the two signals from a reception standpoint?  Appreciate any help you can provide.

3 Replies 3

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

I would give the Cisco Small Business Support Center a call and open up a case to get help with configuring this.

The number is 1-866-606-1866.

THANKS

Hi,

My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Cisco Small business Network Engineer, in the Small Business Support Center. I saw your Post and since I wasn’t sure if you had been able to call in or found an answer to you question, I thought I would take a minute to respond.

First, Rick is right. The best thing and probably quickest is to call into our Small Business Support Center and let one of the answering agents help you.

Within the WAP4410N there are several connection types for going back to your router and which one we use will depend upon what router you have and how exactly you want to use the access point.

If you could call in, we would be happy to look at your network and see what would be the best setup for your situation.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

1-866-606-1866

Eric,  Thank you for responding.  To answer your questions: 1) my wireless router is a LinkSys WRT300N, which I use as a simple source of wireless throughout my house.  2) I have one room where the wireless signal is very weak, so I just want to use the WAP4410N to extend the range of the base router.  In other words, place the 4410 perhaps halfway between the router and the room with the weak signal, and have the 4410 pick up the base signal and "repeat it" (repeater).  Would greatly appreciate any advice you can provide.  The most frustrating part of all this is that I feel like I have set all the settings properly, so I can't understand why it does not work.  The signal seems to work strongly, and I am able to pick up the stronger signal in the room that normally has a weak signal, but it will not give me an IP address.  I tried moving it all over the house, but always the same problem: seems to relay the signal, but will not give me an IP address.

I tried calling the help line many months ago, but they were not able to help me.  I was hoping perhaps this forum would provide some answers.  Thanks, Bill Colton

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: