cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial-peer monitoring (monitor probe icmp-ping x.x.x.x)

blackswans
Level 1
Level 1

How does this monitor probe command works ? How many pings sends this command and how many ping it should lose to make the dialpeer down. When this probe cannot ping the addres is this dial-peer goes to down status ? But if we have many dial-peers is it useful to make a lot of pings to the destination ?

Regards

dial-peer voice 2000 voip
description VOIP Peer to NYC
preference 1
destination-pattern 20..
monitor probe icmp-ping 172.16.1.2
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:172.16.1.2
dtmf-relay rtp-nte
codec g722-64

7 Replies 7

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This command monitors the configured IP addr through icmp pings.

This should be used in conjunction with the fallback command to implement SRST.

The results of the probe will determine if the GW goes into SRST mode if the faqllback command is configured,

by itself, I don't think this command will work correctly.

Command reference:

Usage Guidelines

The principal use of this command is to specify ICMP ping as the probe method, even though the option for selecting RTR is also available.

In order for the monitor probe icmp-ping command to work properly, the call fallback icmp-ping command or the call fallback active command must be configured. One of these two commands must be in effect before the monitor probe icmp-ping command can be used.

If the call fallback icmp-ping command is not entered, the call fallback active command in global configuration is used for measurements. If the call fallback icmp-ping command is entered, these values override the global configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_m3.html#wp1397581

But I dont have any SRST configuration I just want to shut down the dial-peer to match the next dialpeer if the remote ip is not reachable. Can I do this ?

Thanks

Then you don't need this at all just have 2 voip dial-peers that match the same pattern but set the order you want them to match with the preference command - if the first one fails, it will send the call to the next dial peer configured for that pattern.

yes I already have that configuration. it should do that but it doesnt go to the next dialpeer. why can this happen ?

You may need to adjust the h225 timer:

voice class h323 1
h225 timeout tcp establish 3 

Here is the config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080094852.shtml

voice class h323 1
h225 timeout tcp establish 3

This is already configured so If I delete this command can it help ? I want to add that my dial-peer is sip.

thanks

That command just tells H323 to give up after 3 seconds if it can't establish the connection which should kick it to the next dial-peer for this pattern.

Run debug voip dialpeer default and debug voip ccapi inout to see what is happening.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: