cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up RTLS with Cisco

myselfs23
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to create asset tracking solution in office based on CISCO unified wireless product.The following CISCO device are available in office.

- CISCO Wireless Controller (Model: 5508)

- CISCO 3300 Series Mobility Services engine

- CISCO Wireless Access Point(AIR-LAP1142N-C-K9)

I have connected the AP directly to the Wireless controller and the wireless controller is not able to detect the APs. Do i need a layer 3 switch so the controller can detect and communicate with the APs?

6 Replies 6

Elliott Shawd
Level 1
Level 1

Yes. Unless you setup a DHCP server on your controller, the LAP will need to pull an address from somewhere before it is able to communicate.

Thanks, but the problem is even after configuring DHCP on the controller,, The controller still can't connect to the APs.

I'm getting an error message trying to connect to the AP through DOS CLI:

doesn't have enough power, I'm using a D-Link POE supplier to power up the AP,  cause the controller not to connect to the AP.

The other error we're getting is that CAPWAP, Not sending the request, AP does not have the IP.

I would grab an AC adaptor and power the AP locally.Then, I would find a layer 3 switch to plug your controller and AP into.

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if you have connected the APs directly to the WLC then whets does the output say..

"show CDP nei det" on the WLC?? >> Are the APs getting the IP address??

"show port summary" on the WLC?? >> are the ports up??

If the AP is not getting the IP address then it will not joing the WLC.. try assigning the static ip address and see what happens..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

How should I set a static IP on the APs?

From AP console:

lwapp ap ip address

lwapp ap ip default-gategay

lwapp ap controller ip address

Consider two points:

- If the AP was registered in other WLC, you cannot set this parameters through console connection, if you do that you will see a "Error, Command is disabled" message.

- If you use software version 5.2 and later (in your AP), these commands may change from lwapp to capwap.

Best Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card