cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port VLAN assignment.

speculor_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I wondered how is possible to have a port "unassigned".

For example, suppose fa0/1 belongs to VLAN 10.

If I delete VLAN 10, is fa0/1 unassigned?

Or, as in running-config there is, under fa0/1, switchport access vlan 10, I have to command no switchport access vlan 10 too.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You cannot have a port as unassigned.  The default is vlan 1 for a port  if you set the port back to factory defaults .

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to Glen's post. After you remove the "switchport access vlan 10" from the port run the command "sh vlan brief" on the switch. This will show you the vlans on the switch and which ports are allocated into which vlan. You should then see, as Glen said, that port allocated to vlan 1.

Jon

I was reading the argument VMPS from the 2960 Software Configuration Guide, when I saw

the term "unassigned" about a port. So I asked for this term.

But now I have understood that the concept is relative to this configuration command:

switchport access vlan dynamic

When I configure a port with this command, the port should be "unassigned", before the

assignment done by the server.

Is it correct?

speculor_cisco wrote:

I was reading the argument VMPS from the 2960 Software Configuration Guide, when I saw

the term "unassigned" about a port. So I asked for this term.

But now I have understood that the concept is relative to this configuration command:

switchport access vlan dynamic

When I configure a port with this command, the port should be "unassigned", before the

assignment done by the server.

Is it correct?

Yes, in the context of VMPS an unassigned port has not be placed into a vlan yet.

Jon

Hi,

Yes, you are correct but whenever you will connect a client to the dynamic port there must be some response  (VQP Query Response) from the VMPS server. 

If the port is currently unassigned (that is, it does not yet have a VLAN assignment), the VMPS provides one of these responses:

* If the host is allowed on the port, the VMPS sends the client a vlan-assignment response containing the assigned VLAN name and allowing access to the host.
* If the host is not allowed on the port and the VMPS is in open mode, the VMPS sends an access-denied response.
* If the VLAN is not allowed on the port and the VMPS is in secure mode, the VMPS sends a port-shutdown response.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello,

The interface status is default ie Vlan 1.  In globel mode apply ‘default interface fastEthernet 0/1’ . Then the interface set to default configuration.

For example :

Router#sh run int f 4/10

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 122 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet4/10

switchport

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

no ip address

shutdown

end

Router#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#default interface fastEthernet 4/10

Interface FastEthernet4/10 set to default configuration

Router(config)#end

Router#sh run int f 4/10

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 59 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet4/10

no ip address

shutdown

end

Router#

MB.Ahamed

Hello ,

i think that you are looking at a "show ip interface brief", and you see an unassigned , but that is the IP address that is unassigned

Dan

The "unassigned" label under IP addresses when looking at show ip int brief designates that no IP address has been set for a specific port or a VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card