cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7937 registers to SRST instead of CCM

Chris Austin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7937 that will not register to CCM.  The phone boots up properly pulls DHCP with option 150 which provides the correct TFTP source.  When you IP to the phone it displays the correct available CCMs.  The phone seems to choose SRST over CCM.  I have factory reset the phone, moved it to a new switch, and moved it to a new voice vlan all with no changes.  If I remove ccm-fallback from the router the phone will finally register to CCM.  As soon as I put ccm-fallback back on the router the phone will register to the router.  There is NO ephone config that would maybe pull the phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you get a packet capture that covers the registration process? Best thing to do would be to start the capture and then plug the phone back into the network. We can then see what happens when the phone sends it's registration requests.

Please include the IP addresses of the CUCM, phone and SRST gateway.

-Felipe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Chris,

I would first check the compatibility between your SRST router IOS/SRST version, CUCM version and 7937 firmware load.

I imagine they should be okay given it does register to both CUCM and SRST under certain configurations, but I've been caught out by IOS bugs once too often not to consider it!

Regards, Ash.

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you get a packet capture that covers the registration process? Best thing to do would be to start the capture and then plug the phone back into the network. We can then see what happens when the phone sends it's registration requests.

Please include the IP addresses of the CUCM, phone and SRST gateway.

-Felipe

I'm checking on the IOS/CUCM/Firm Load.  I don't think that is the case but we have all been burned too many times by IOS bugs to not consider it.

Pulling a packet capture is going to be difficult.  I'm in Louisiana and the phone and cluster are in Georgia.  We recently seperated the two sites networks via firewalls so it will take some finagling to get a capture but I'll try to get it.

I got the packet capture.  Turns out there were two problems.  The DHCP scope for the voice vlan was pointing to the wrong domain.  Also in the CCM config I set the "System-Server- Hostname/IP" to a host name.  The phone was trying to register to hostname.wrong domain.  Corrected the domain and changed the server information to an IP since we dont put CCM in DNS.  I then reset the phone and all is good.  It seems that the 7937 looks at the conf file and DHCP differently from 7962s or 7936s.  Those phones all registered fine but this one did not.

Thank you for your help.

Chris,

Thank you for the update. That is strange behavior. Can you provide me with the firmware version running on the 7937 and the packet capture? I want to see if this impacts the latest version of the firmware and needs to be addressed.

-Felipe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: