Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP between 6509 to 4948

sudip.acharya1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to setup LACP for trunking between a 6509 and a 4948. I think I have the right config for the 6509 but need help with the 4948 settings. Has anyone done this before? Any issues where a vlan or network went unavailable for a short period when bringing this link up?

6509:

g1/1/1:

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2

switchport mode trunk

shutdown

wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 4

priority-queue cos-map 1 3 5

channel-group 3 mode active

g1/2/1:

switchport

switchport mode trunk

shutdown

wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 4

priority-queue cos-map 1 3 5

Port-Chan 3:

switchport

switchport mode trunk

3 Replies 3

Jason Masker
Level 1
Level 1

Your 6509 config looks correct, except did you notice that you have the interfaces shutdown?  When you bring up the trunk, I would enter the configuration as follows:

Do a show int on each interface you are bundling to ensure that the configurations are identical. Then enter the following:

interface range Gi1/1/1 , Gi1/2/1

This will place both interfaces into the port channel and bring it online. The relevant configuration from the underlying interfaces should be copied into the port channel interface automatically for the most part, but you can check it afterward by doing a 'show run int Po3' and adding any configuration lines that are missing. (In the past I have seen that some things like portfast do not get copied automatically.) Your 4948 configuration should be similar. As far as I know, the channel-group command is universal in IOS, but I am unfamiliar with the 4948 specifically.

You will have a spanning tree event when you first bring the port channel online but by using LACP and if you are using RPVST+ the impact should be minimal. All the same, I would do it during off hours or low usage, if possible, and plan for some minimal disruption.

The etherchannel configs for the 4948 should be exactly the same  as the 6509  except maybe the COS settings.

sudip.acharya1
Level 1
Level 1

The config worked great. Same commands on the 4948.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card