cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID - fighting with the Telco

HEATH FREEL
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenerio. We just replaced a Nortel System, running on a Bell Canada PRI to a CMBE running on an Alstream PRI.

All is well, except the outbound calls have no name associated with them. Everything I have read indicates that the name comes form the carrier and not the call manager. I have looked high and low and have been unable to find anything that I can configure on the Call Manager to send the company name on outbound calls. Can this be done or is it controlled by the Carrier - i.e. CNAM field based on the Calling Number Mask???

Could I set this on the Gateway Router PRI port?

Can anyone point me to documetation that either proves my point (so I can send it to the carrier) or documentation that proves me wrong so I can fix it....

CMBE version 7.1.5

ISR g2 2921 Router

Thanks,

Heath

32 Replies 32

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What ISDN switch type (protocol variant) is being used by the provider?  CNAME delivery type varies depending on switch-type.

I assume that CNAME works inbound?

Also, what VoIP protocol are you using between CUCM and the PRI?

isdn switch-type primary-ni

CNAM works inbound...

MGCP

Do you have these enabled on CM?

Did you reset the gateway from CM after enabling them?

You can run a 'debug isdn q931' and see if CM is sending CNAME out.  It will either be in the display IE in the original setup, or in a 'name to follow' facility for thid switch type.

The short answer is providers can usually overwrite ANI/CNAME to whatever is tied to your account, but you should also be able to send them your own CNAME (at leat on an NI switchtype) if they can't do the former or if you want more specific ANI/CNAMEs.

Yes both are on and the Gateway was reset.

If I am able to set the Name  where do I do that.... Where do I set the name? Can I set it globally? or is it set per caller?

CM is sending the CNAME as per that output, but is sending it as 'Name not available'.  So it's a CM issue (although if your provider can overwrite to a generic CNAME for all outbound calls, that could fix it.

I believe CNAME is set under the DN config with 'Display (Internal Caller ID)'.

Then, make sure that under the route pattern which is hit, that calling and connected name presentation are set to 'Allowed.'

Here is the Q931 output.

Sep 30 20:07:43.511: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> SETUP pd = 8  callref = 0x0004
        Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A2
                Standard = CCITT
                Transfer Capability = Speech
                Transfer Mode = Circuit
                Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s
        Channel ID i = 0xA9838E
                Exclusive, Channel 14
        Facility i = 0x9F8B0100A10F02010106072A8648CE1500040A0100
                Protocol Profile =  Networking Extensions
                0xA10F02010106072A8648CE1500040A0100
                Component = Invoke component
                        Invoke Id = 1
                        Operation = InformationFollowing (calling_name)
                                Name information in subsequent FACILITY message
        Calling Party Number i = 0x0081, 'somenumber'
                Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown
        Called Party Number i = 0xA1, 'called number'
                Plan:ISDN, Type:National
Sep 30 20:07:43.623: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: RX <- CALL_PROC pd = 8  callref = 0x8004
        Channel ID i = 0xA9838E
                Exclusive, Channel 14
Sep 30 20:07:45.519: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> FACILITY pd = 8  callref = 0x0004
        Facility i = 0x9F8B0100A1080201010201008400
                Protocol Profile =  Networking Extensions
                0xA1080201010201008400
                Component = Invoke component
                        Invoke Id = 1
                        Operation = CallingName
                                Name not available
Sep 30 20:07:47.523: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: RX <- ALERTING pd = 8  callref = 0x8004

issue the following command

-interface Serial0/0/0:23

-isdn supp-service name calling

-exit

cristobal.priego wrote:

issue the following command

-interface Serial0/0/0:23

-isdn supp-service name calling

-exit

This is MGCP, so configuration under the D channel is irrelevant, since the q.931 is being crafted by CM.

Getting better - I am able to set it per DN - can I set it globally.... without affecting the per DN setting - if so where can I set it globally.

I don't know of a way to do that.  We can do it for ANI with 'Caller ID DN.'  But I don't see anything under the Gateway, RP, or RL/RG to overwrite CNAME.

Configure all your DN CNAMEs via BAT, perhaps? :-P

The other thing I noticed is that I am now sending a caller ID via the Q931 - but only the phone number is showing up on the called parties phone... Is this becuase the carrier may not send this field accross the network?

Yeah that could be true.  Call the provider and ask them what format they want to see CNAME in.  (Here's a trick, ask them how they want to see it before you tell them how you are sending it--it forces them to look up the right answer.)

We're sending it in a subsequent facility IE, with 'calling name to  follow' in the setup IE.  That's the standard way to do it with NI  switch type.

While you're on the phone with them, have them look up what ISDN variant they have you configured for.  You want to make sure it actually is NI, though if you see CNAME in a later facility on an inbound call, that would be enough proof to know.

I will call them and I really appreciate your help on this...

A couple of things I have tried in the meantime.

I set the Caller ID DN in the gateway to a DN that uses the Internal Caller ID of the name I wanted to send - I thought that may work globally... it did not. When nothing is set in the Internal Caller ID  field then the Facility says Name Not Avialaible.

No matter what I set it to though it does not show up on the called end.

I'll keep on the telco and report back... Thanks again.

Heath

The plot thickens and becomes almost comical.....

I have discovered the the telco is configured for NI1 - please help me as I am still sending the same Caller ID info but it never shows up.

So I have configured the following:

In the Gateway Router: ISDN Switch Type Nantional-ni

In the Call Manager Gateway Devices - Global ISDN Switch Type - 5E8

in the Call Manager Endpoint PRI - PRI Protocol Type - PRI 5E8

I have tried variation after variation and in all cases it sends out the Caller ID... but never shows up on the other end.

Thanks,

Heath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: