cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

show mac-address-table on ASA 5540 ver8.2(2)

r.overberg
Level 1
Level 1

according to documenatation, show mac-address-table should be valid EXEC mode command.

what am I doing wrong?

isdevfw00# show ver | inc Version
Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.2(2)
Device Manager Version 6.3(1)

isdevfw00# show mac?
ERROR: % Unrecognized command
isdevfw00# show mac

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Masker
Level 1
Level 1

In routed mode, the command 'show arp' will display Interface, IP, MAC and age for known IP addresses. Perhaps this table will give you the information you need.

View solution in original post

wromsait
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The show mac-address-table command will only work in the Transparent firewall.

You can take a look at the command reference here. You will notice the bullet is only under transparent.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/s4.html#wp1448364

You can do "show firewall"  to see if the firewall is in routed mode or transparent.

Hope this helps.

Wasan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jason Masker
Level 1
Level 1

In routed mode, the command 'show arp' will display Interface, IP, MAC and age for known IP addresses. Perhaps this table will give you the information you need.

yes, I guess it's a "feature"   I thought I was going crazy.

wromsait
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The show mac-address-table command will only work in the Transparent firewall.

You can take a look at the command reference here. You will notice the bullet is only under transparent.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/s4.html#wp1448364

You can do "show firewall"  to see if the firewall is in routed mode or transparent.

Hope this helps.

Wasan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card