cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1941W Login Reset - (cant login at all)

abc2014de
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have a little problem...or at least hope it’s little. I was doing an initial setup of a 1941W router. Login in with the default cisco/cisco, switched over to config, typed the a few commands and than ran the following: yourname(config)# username username privilege 15 secret 5 password (I replaced username and password with actual credentials) logout, tried to log back in and received an error of % Login invalid. Doubled check the password the credentials, retired and received the same error. I cannot login at all. I have searched on how to reset the router but the articles require I have access to enable mode, I can’t even cast past the initial login screen, any ideas?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hopefully the link supplied by Jennifer will help you access the router again. I believe that I see what caused the original problem and hope that you will avoid doing this again when you do have access. You indicate that you entered this command:

username username privilege 15 secret 5 password

The problem is the presence of 5 in that command. If you specify secret 5 then the IOS treats what you entered as the already encrypted version of the password. So when configuring the router you should use:

username username privilege 15 secret password

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried to login with the default cisco/cisco password again? Does that work?

I typed the follow commands;

yourname# configure terminal

yourname(config)# username username privilege 15 secret 5 password (replacing usernname/password, with my own)

yourname(config)# no username cisco

yourname(config)# no banner login

yourname(config)# no banner exec

yourname(config)# end

yourname# copy running-config startup-config

So, unfortunately I negated the cisco/cisco. I did receive an error when enter the follow:

yourname(config)# username username privilege 15 secret 5 password (replacing usernname/password, with my own)

referring to encryption but as I was in a rush I thought nothing of it, yes I know my fault. I do not know what the exact error was but I do know that i entered the correct username/password when running the above command and attempting to login. Ill assume I have to reset the router to factor defaults but am unable to find a article to reference.

Hopefully the link supplied by Jennifer will help you access the router again. I believe that I see what caused the original problem and hope that you will avoid doing this again when you do have access. You indicate that you entered this command:

username username privilege 15 secret 5 password

The problem is the presence of 5 in that command. If you specify secret 5 then the IOS treats what you entered as the already encrypted version of the password. So when configuring the router you should use:

username username privilege 15 secret password

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thank you both, Jennifer and Richard for your help. I was able to reset and reconfigure the router. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card