Views
Helpful
Replies

VM in exchange 2003 do not works

maissiat
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I'm still working on the upgrade of our old unity 4.03 (swap server) to Unity 7.02.

I have installed Unity 7 on the new server , setup message store with our Exchange 2003 server , gave the rights to the Ad accounts, and create some test subscribers , integrated to our CUCM

Created a second Voice mail profil on our CUCM 5.x

and configure  test phones to use this voice mail profil

I do not now why I cannot received notification of vm in outlook .

Does someone has an idea how to  resolve it or a tool to check if the connection to exchange is ok

Hope someone can help me

Thanks for all

Marc

15 Replies 15

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume that you are doing Unified Messaging - my first question would be when you ran Permissions Wizard did you have any issues in the output?   You can run this again in report mode and verify.  Secondly, did you grant the proper Exchange admin rights for the UnityInstall and UnityMsgStore svc accounts?

Hailey

Dear Hailey,

I'm doing Voice messaging with Exchange 2003 sp2 as the partner.  Yes I ran the Permission Wizard report and have the following error for the Messages store Account when trying to access some mailstores : (Exchange admin rights have been setup for all accounts)

Receive As(Receive-As\) Right: ACCESS DENIED because a Deny ACE takes precendent over an exact Allow ACE

I also note that if I restart manually the AvNotifierMgr it works , but only one time. I have also this error in Unity Diagnostic Viewver tool under AvNotifier Logs :

Common,10,Unknown,get_AmisOutbound,>get_AmisOutbound(ppMailUser),E:\views\CU7.0.1.28\un_Doh1\Doh\Src\AvDohSystemConfiguration.cpp,354,Catastrophic failure  ,00000A44H,013036A8H

Please not that I use the temporary licence , and my old unity is also online.

I'm doing some test with the new one.

Thanks

Marc

David can expand on this but it sounds like you have UnityMsgStoreSvc account in your delegate control as an admin in the Exchange Management Tool. Open Exchange Managment tool and right click the root of the tree and choose Delegate Control. If UnityMsgStoreSvc is in there at all, remove it. If it's in there as an admin of any kind, it adds a deny on send as and recieve as which pretty much kills it's functionality on any stores you have subscriber mailboxes on.

Thanks!

Tray

Yep. That sounds like a good first start.  Here are the Exchange permissions you need for E2K3:

Where Cisco Unity Subscribers Are Homed

Permissions

Exchange 2003

Installation account: Exchange Administrator

Cisco Unity directory services account: Exchange Administrator if you want to create Cisco Unity subscribers by using the Cisco Unity Administrator. Exchange View Only Administrator if you want to create Cisco Unity subscribers only by importing accounts from Active Directory.

Cisco Unity message store services account: Send-As, Receive-As, and Administer Information Store permissions on the Exchange 2003 and/or Exchange 2000 mailstores that are selected in Permissions wizard (set by the Permissions wizard).

The only accounts that need delegated rights in Exchange (i.e., management tools) are UnityInstall and UnityDirSvc.  UnityMsgStoreSvc needs the send-as/receive-as rights noted above.  Check whether or not you have delegated permissions in EMO for UnityMsgStoreSvc (or whatever your equivalent account is).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Dear Tray and David,

I will try it and kkep you informed

Thanks

Maissiat

Dear ,

So I did the modifications, It is very strange because , It works once then no more.. I reinstall the serveur and did not have  any error during the installation.

I've created a new subscriber then made a test and received message in Outlook and MWI turn on . then retry again and nothing . So I created another user and nothing .

So if you have any idea

thanks

Maissiat

If you go into your event viewer and look at the application logs. Are there any errors or warnings that tell you that you are in UMR mode or that Unity can't talk to Exchange? In UMR, MWI functions will not work so I am wondering if it is in that mode.

Thanks!

Tray

Permissions are most suspect to me.  Did you set all of the necessary permissions using the Permissions Wizard only or did you attempt to set/unset some manually?  In addition, when you look at the Unity service accounts in Active Directory - what "group" are they in?  By that I mean, are those accounts "Domain Admin" or "Exchange Admin" or "Schema Admin" and so forth?

Hailey

Dear Hailey,

THe three accounts created during installation are domain Admin . And for unity install and service account I delegated Exchange administrator rights.

I made a test this morning and it works once again .

Actually I  use the temporary unity licence ( allow only 10 subscribers etc.) , Is there a link with my problem ?

Thanks

Maissiat

Dear Tray ,

No I do not have any error messages in application logs.

Thanks

Maissiat

I think you may have a number of things going on but I believe your first problem lies with your service accounts.  I do not know if you are doing voicemail only or unified messaging but I have done a number of Unity installations and have a working 7x install in my lab as well configured for UM.  Your service accounts should not be set to be Domain Admins.  In a voicemail only configuration, this may apply - I'd have to look at that again because it doesn't make much sense to use Unity for voicemail only anymore given that Unity Connection is solid.  To make a long story short, in a UM configuration the service accounts should be Domain Users.  All other rights are set by the permissions wizard.  In fact, the Domain Admins group (along with several others) is a protected group.  Every hour a process runs that will re-apply any permissions for accounts in a protected group.  So, this is the first thing to be corrected.

This is all that needs to be done when creating the service accounts:

Creating the Accounts Required for the Cisco Unity Installation

To Create Domain Accounts for Cisco Unity Installation, Administration, and Services

Step 1 On the Cisco Unity server, log on to Windows by using an account that is a member of the Domain Admins group.

Step 2 On the Windows Start menu, click Programs > Microsoft Exchange > Active Directory Users and Computers or click Programs > Administrative Tools > Active Directory Users and Computers.

Step 3 In the left pane, expand the domain, right-click Users or the organizational unit where you want to create the installation account, and click New > User.

Step 4 Follow the on-screen prompts to create the installation account. Creating an Exchange mailbox is optional.

We suggest that you use the following names for the accounts:

Installation

UnityInstall

Administration

UnityAdmin

Account that Cisco Unity directory services log on as (directory services account)

UnityDirSvc

Account that Cisco Unity message store services log on as (message store services account)

UnityMsgStoreSvc

Step 5 Repeat Step 3 and Step 4 to create the Cisco Unity administration account, the directory services account, and the message store services account.

Ensure that for the accounts that Cisco Unity services log on as, the password will never expire. If the password expires, Cisco Unity will stop working the next time the server is restarted.

Step 6 Close Active Directory Users and Computers.

Now you may have issues when you remove these users from the Domain Admins group...so you may be better to just delete the accounts and recreate them.  If you didn't use the names above, recreate them using the recommended names (not mandatory but to ensure you don't run into any issues with the account deletion for a protected group account).  Once that is taken care of, you need to re-run the permissions wizard for those accounts.  Also, you need to verify that inheritance of permissions is turned on as well.

The demo license is not giving you any issues.  I can assure you of that.  I have 2 Unity 5x and 1 Unity 7x systems running in my lab all on demo licenses without issues. 

I would also encourage you to, if you've not already done so, read the installation guide forwards and backwards and follow every step to the tee.  This will help to ensure your steps are in check with the process.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Dear Hailey,

So, I put all the rights correctly, but it still not working correctly.  It looks I can received voice message in Outlook only once  a day.

I join two log file of my server .

Maybe you can see something I don't

Thanks

Maissiat

Maissiat,

I'm sorry to say that it appears you are doing something wrong somewhere.  This is a pretty straightforward setup and one that I've run many times in my lab.  Please run Permissions Wizard in report mode using the UnityInstall account and post the results.  You should have ZERO errors or warnings.

Hailey

Dear Hailey,

I found the problem , As our CUCM are in a different VLAN there was an access error between CUCM  and unity ..

Thanks for all .

Maissiat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: