Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM - java runtime environment is not installed

nocrack21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have an ASA runing asdm 6.3(3). I can launch the console from the web page but can't install it. Here is my config:

ASA 6.3(3)

Windows 7 x32bits

Java 6.0.21

ehrn I try to install it I get the following

Capture.PNG

any ideas?

Many Thanks!

Arnaud

40 Replies 40

Shilpa Gupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arnaud,

[1] Make sure that the version of ASA and ASDM are compatible.

[2]Check if you are able to access ASDM from different machine running OS other than win 7.

[3]Check it with different browser.

[4] Check the following:-
\.asdm\cache

clear the cache and see if it helps.

[5] Check if JRE is installed. Use the following link for downloading java:-

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

[6] Does the ASDM image in sh run use the system asdm image disk0:/asdm633.bin  
[7]Issue "show run http" and check if all commands are in place. 

[8] Check if Environment variable is SET   Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab   -> Environment Variables -> Edit 'Path' in System variables. Then, append "C:\Program  Files\Java\JRE1.6\bin" (Depends on where you installed) to existing one.

Restart computer and try again.

Please try the above steps and let me know if it helps.

Shilpa,

I am having the same error installing ASDM on my machine from a 5510. ASDM runs properly on Windows XP machines from this ASA.

Details:

Windows 7 64-bit (clean install)

Java 6u23 (32-bit) - have tried with 6u23 64-bit, and 6u16 32-bit for testing

Internet Explorer 8 (32 & 64 bit)

Firefox 3.6.1 & 4.0b8
ASDM version 6.3(5), have also tried with 6.3(1), 5.2(4)

ASA image 8.3(2)

I have tried all the steps in your reply with no success. I have also read through this bug fix: CSCtg56491 which suggests running 32/64 bit java concurrently and changing the environment variable to the (x86) program files directory.

The bug fix mentions that this issue is resolved in later versions of the ASDM but the latest version I can access is 6.3(5). Please let me know if there is any more information available about this bug

Thanks

Greg

Same here

Win 7 64-bit (new clean install)

Java 6u23 32-bit

Java 6u23 64-bit,

Internet Explorer 8 (32 & 64 bit)

I tried to install the ASDM IDM Lancher from the following ASDM Versions

ASDM version 6.2(5),

ASDM version 6.3(5),

ASDM version 6.4(1),

All give same result. The IDM MSI installer says java is not installed, but it is.

ASDM itself works fine when launched throug a browser but i want the launcher application because its a pain to have to keep getting using the browser.

Will Cisco please fix this issue,

please reopen CSCtg56491 because the issue clearly is not fixed!

So I can’t get a new version of ASDM that works with Java >6 so I created a portable version with its own java6 32bit and old 2009 ASDM from the firewall ...

Here is the sauce if you like to build your own. The magic is setting the java path and figuring out that you can’t just run java –jar asdm-launcher.jar you have to run this massively long line.. that is what the “magic” ASDM .exe  does … :

@echo off
echo Setting java path to "%CD%\jre6\bin"
echo YOU MAY NEED TO RUN javacpl.exe AND ADD THE INCLUDED CERT IN EVERY STORE LOCATOIN IN JAVA UNDER THE SECURITY TAB ...
echo WARNING THIS ASDM IS OLD '09 AND THE FIREWALL NEEDS TO BE UPDATED TO INCLUDE A MORE UPDATED VERSION OF ASDM!

cmd /c "%CD%\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe"
set path="%CD%\jre6\bin";C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;"C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap"

cd ASDM

"javaw.exe" -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true -classpath lzma.jar;jploader.jar;asdm-launcher.jar;retroweaver-rt-2.0.jar com.cisco.launcher.Launcher"

Cisco please allow people to update firewall firmware for free and download ASDM software K thanks ... rmccurdy.com out !

Amen!

dierckx.kevin
Level 1
Level 1

I have had the same issue. This issue is due to the fact that a 64 bit version of JRE is used. If you install a 32 bit version of the JRE all is fine.

I don't believe the issue lies with Cisco as I have seen the same behaviour with java based management tools from other vendors as well.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Unfortunately this is not the case. This doesnt work with 32bit java

As you will see in my post above I and others have tried this with 32 bit java, 64 bit java and both

Regardless of the permutation the ASDM IDM Luncher will not install in my environment

I'm sure that other applications have the same problem, and the root cause is probably the same.

Its about how you build your MSI installer.

The installer logic Cisco is using to detect the presence of Java, is flawed. This makes it very much Cisco's issue

Sorry to hear that jaydee.

For me it worked by uninstalling the 64 bit version and installing the 32 bit JRE version 6 update 7.

Perhaps you can give it a try with the particular JRE version but somehow I doubt it will work.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

10 years later you still help me !

For all who search how access to ASDM 6.4(5) you need to install Java 6u7 x86

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/archive/

Personally I used a dedicated VM to do this.

Thanks

Yes this works also for me ! Thanks Kevin

Koné

I had the same issue, was trying everything, this worked. Installed 32-bit version. BTW, for anyone else that has to look for the older versions, here's where I found mine.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-java-runtime-32

CISCO, I'm running an intel I-5 machine, Windows 64-bit, I wasted hours trying to nail this down. Using CISCO

Firewall ASA 5505.

This work for me too. 

Runing jre 6u45x86 , with AS v 8.4(2) and asdm-641. Thanks so much.

Dale Green
Level 1
Level 1

Ya, battled with this for a morning also with all kinds of Java RE versions. In the end, here's the combination of bits that finally worked:

1. Win 7 Pro x64

2. ASDM version = 6.2 (1)

3. ASA version = 8.2 (1) on a 5510, also works for my fleet of 5505s

4. **Java version = 1.6.0_17, but the kicker is to install the 32-bit version, for whatever reason. This actually works fine on the x64 OS as it turns out. Just remember to turn off the Java updater or all the careful Java fiddling will have been for naught.

The ASDM installer could certainly do with a more constructive error message when the wrong Java is installed, like maybe a link to the release notes or something.

DG.

This one is hundred percentage correct and worked for all aspects.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: