Understanding of wireless client connection to multiple APs

Unanswered Question
Oct 1st, 2010
User Badges:

Hello,

I would like to know how do wireless clients connect to APs

For e.g. if in a single floor square office space - wireless network with multiple APs exists on the same SSID, how do clients decide which AP to connect to. For e.g. the client may get similar strength signals from two APs close to each other (such as Excellent). Which AP does client connect to.

Secondly, how does the load distribution take place. For e.g. if on one AP, 10 clients connect and on the other AP, 20 clients connect, how can equal load distribution be acheived, that is 15 on each AP without the tiring MAC filtering configurations.

Thirdly, is there something like number of user/connection restrictions on APs. I have gone through some AP manuals and did not find any such specifications like max. # of users = 20 etc. Currently we are using D-Link AP and have noticed that once the # of connections go upto 20, performance reduces heavily such as the latency on gateway pings go upto 1000-2000ms.

Fourthly, how can I identify from the client to which AP it is connected.

Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Surendra BG Mon, 10/04/2010 - 22:10
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I would like to know how do wireless clients connect to APs

For  e.g. if in a single floor square office space - wireless network with  multiple APs exists on the same SSID, how do clients decide which AP to  connect to. For e.g. the client may get similar strength signals from  two APs close to each other (such as Excellent). Which AP does client  connect to.

ANS - Its first come first serve... however.. sometimes if we have multiple SSIDs one with open auth and no encryption and other fuly protected.. then the client wil connect to the open rather the secured on.

Secondly, how does  the load distribution take place. For e.g. if on one AP, 10 clients  connect and on the other AP, 20 clients connect, how can equal load  distribution be acheived, that is 15 on each AP without the tiring MAC  filtering configurations.

ANS - MAC is a good option but apart from that.. i have seen somewhere but not able to remember the command which will limit the number of clients per radio..

Thirdly, is there  something like number of user/connection restrictions on APs. I have  gone through some AP manuals and did not find any such specifications  like max. # of users = 20 etc. Currently we are using D-Link AP and have  noticed that once the # of connections go upto 20, performance reduces  heavily such as the latency on gateway pings go upto 1000-2000ms.

ANS - AP can take upto 2048 MAC addresses.. its recommended not to have more than 24 clients per AP..

Fourthly, hw can I identify from the client to which AP it is connected.

ANS -If the clients are CCX compatible and aironet extentions enabled on the AP. then the command "show dot11 ass" will tell the clients connecting to which AP.. the AP name will get displsayed in the output..

Regards

Surendra

Surendra BG Mon, 10/04/2010 - 22:11
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Fourthly, hw can I identify from the client to which AP it is connected.

ANS  -If the clients are CCX compatible and aironet extentions enabled on  the AP. then the command "show dot11 associations" will tell the clients  connecting to which AP.. the AP name will get displsayed in the output..

Actions

This Discussion