cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing VPN on Concentrator from inside network.

hanwucisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3000 concentrator and is configured with a remote vpn on it. All the inside network is allowed once a user connceted to the vpn. It is totally behind  of firewall. I can access it from an outside IP.

But I can't log into the vpn from the inside network. I can ping the public interface; but when i try to log in from the client, the server report shows no any records of my IP.

Why can't I log in from the Inside?

thanks,

=====Inside Network========VPN Concentrator=====FW=====Outside Network

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why are you trying to VPN from the inside? The purpose of VPN is to encrypt traffic between your PC on the internet towards the VPN Concentrator, once the traffic gets to your VPN Concentrator, it will be decrypted and it will go as clear text towards your internal network.

So what is the purpose of trying to connect from within the inside network?

The reason why it doesn't work is because of routing. You are within the internal network, so the traffic will go out towards the firewall, and come back through the same firewall to connect to the VPN Concentrator public interface, which is why it's not working, and if the purpose is to access internal network, then you are already inside the network which complicates things as your ip pool then needs to be routed back towards the inside.

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why are you trying to VPN from the inside? The purpose of VPN is to encrypt traffic between your PC on the internet towards the VPN Concentrator, once the traffic gets to your VPN Concentrator, it will be decrypted and it will go as clear text towards your internal network.

So what is the purpose of trying to connect from within the inside network?

The reason why it doesn't work is because of routing. You are within the internal network, so the traffic will go out towards the firewall, and come back through the same firewall to connect to the VPN Concentrator public interface, which is why it's not working, and if the purpose is to access internal network, then you are already inside the network which complicates things as your ip pool then needs to be routed back towards the inside.

Hope that makes sense.

Jen,

I know it sounds a little weird to access it from the inside network. the reason of it is that, sometimes I need to know whether the concentrator is working or not. So, what i first to do is to use my laptop beside me to log in the contrator

I worked in a different gov before, and it worked this way.

When you say the traffice will go to the outside and the try to go inside... Let me draw a bit more detial.

=====My laptop=======Dist. Switch===Core switches(where concentrator directly connects)====Gateway switches====FW=====Outside.

And my traceroute to the public interface seems not going out side, it only consists 3 hops, Dist switch, core switch and the concentrator.

So, what do you think?

thanks,

Han

OK, makes sense.

Concentrator has 2 interfaces that you would normally use: private interface which connects to your internal network, and public interface which connects to your FW. From the topology diagram, I assume that your Concentrator is behind the FW, not paralel to your FW. Need to know if Concentrator public interface is assigned public ip address OR if your FW is NATing traffic towards the Concentrator. There are a number of variables to think about, and depending on which one it is, the traffic flow will be different.

Also, for normal internet traffic, how is it being routed?

Not sure if this is possible within your environment, but to test if the VPN Concentrator is working or not, it is probably easier to plug a laptop to the gateway switch, and configure the laptop ip address to be in the same subnet as the VPN Concentrator public interface subnet.

Another option would be if you are from internal network, to connect to the VPN Concentrator private interface ip address instead.

Just trying to understand what is the common issue that you are experiencing with the VPN Concentrator? Just want to know because if you are connecting from the internal network, that probably does not simulate the real issue, so would like to know what is the common issue you are facing with this particular VPN Concentrator.

1. all the ip involved are valid IP, 199.*.*.*

2. interface trafffic, when it goes outside it'll hit core then gateway, then FW, then outside.

3. OSPF is the routing protocol.

I understand that plugging a pc to gateway is the best way, but it is in different location. what I try to do is to see why it can't access from the inside and later we may need this.

I am wondering when you don't see any records on the reports, does it mean that the initiation didnt hit the concentrator? if it does, why does the ping hit the interface? my coworker gave me an explaination that it is due to asymetrical routing, but i am not quite sure what he exactly mean?

thanks,

Han

Yes, agree with your co-worker, it is assymetric routing.

From internal network, here is the traffic path as per my understanding:

- Laptop --> Disti switch --> Core switch --> at this point, how is the connection to the Concentrator public IP? From the diagram, it seems that your Concentrator public IP is conneted to Gateway switch, is this correct?

- What is your Core switch route for the Concentrator public subnet? Does it point towards the Concentrator private IP? or a different gateway? I would assume that you would have specific routes (ie: remote LAN) pointing towards Concentrator private IP, and default gateway would point to possibly your FW (hence the question earlier of whether the Concentrator is parallel to your FW). Otherwise, how is the normal Internet traffic being routed?

- OK, at this point, if I am assuming the above, then when you are trying VPN to the Concentrator public IP, it will route as follows:

Laptop --> Disti switch --> Core switch --> next hop for default gateway for Core switch (assuming it's FW) --> FW then route back towards VPN Concentrator public IP (again, this is assuming that your FW can route in and out the same interface) --> this is the first ISAKMP packet from your laptop.

- Then the return packet (ISAKMP second packet) will be routed towards VPN Concentrator private IP --> at this point, it will fail because it should be routed back towards the Public IP, but since your internal IP has to be routed towards VPN Concentrator private IP (for users who are actually VPN to access the internal network), it breaks the VPN negotiation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: