Views
Helpful
Replies

location by ip address, netflix, hulu

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body.

I just got stationed at south Korea.  while  i was in US, i was able to watch movies on netflix and hulu.  But when i tried to to watch  movies on these web sides  here in Korea , i got this message "  you are accessing this side outside the USA, etc" The ip address assigned to my pc was ipv4.   . Somehow,  it was determined by my ip address that i am not in usa, accessing these sides. Is ip- address- block -assignment geographically based i.e    ARIN makes those allocations based on geography?

If this is the case,  we should be able to roughly pinpoint the location of ip address as in my case  they   discovered  i am not accessing these sides from usa. 

thanks  and have a great weekend.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah

Hope everything is good with you.

Yes, IP addresses are generally assigned geographically. And it's not just ARIN as they are only responsible for the North Amercian Region. Have a look at this link which shows all the Regional Internet Registeries of which ARIN is just one -

http://www.iana.org/numbers/

IANA is the overarching body that allocates out IPs to the RIRs and they are allocated in blocks in order to keep the routing table entries to a minimum.

Jon

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

there are tools used by content providers to exstimate the geo location of an IP address the starting points are the RIRs as noted by Jon.

From a legal point of view a video regarding a sport event (for example) should be seen only where they bought the rights.

The real problems come with the changes: some mounths ago we started to see addresses in 2/8 range and they were treated as not legitimate.

If you have a good VPN connection with US and you could use it for this activity you could appear as a legitimate US user...

Nice to hear from you and about your experience

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah

Hope everything is good with you.

Yes, IP addresses are generally assigned geographically. And it's not just ARIN as they are only responsible for the North Amercian Region. Have a look at this link which shows all the Regional Internet Registeries of which ARIN is just one -

http://www.iana.org/numbers/

IANA is the overarching body that allocates out IPs to the RIRs and they are allocated in blocks in order to keep the routing table entries to a minimum.

Jon

Thanks Jon for your reply. My apology for late reply

.  I just got here 9 south korea)  so i was busy with paperwork here.  How have you been?    i  really appreciate your help and the things  learned from you and other members.   Thanks and have great a  weekend.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

there are tools used by content providers to exstimate the geo location of an IP address the starting points are the RIRs as noted by Jon.

From a legal point of view a video regarding a sport event (for example) should be seen only where they bought the rights.

The real problems come with the changes: some mounths ago we started to see addresses in 2/8 range and they were treated as not legitimate.

If you have a good VPN connection with US and you could use it for this activity you could appear as a legitimate US user...

Nice to hear from you and about your experience

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe.  i aplogise for late response.  I just got here ( south korea)  two weeks ago  and was real busy here. Thanks for your kind remark  and i really appreciate  all your help.   thanks and have a great weekend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: