cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent Connectivity to WAP4400N

twolips72
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 WAP4400Ns that were manufactured in July 2007.  I've experienced some problems with dropped connections even with a strong signal over the years but recently, I've had long stretches where I cannot connect wirelessly to either unit.  It works for a few hours then can't connect for half the day.  I have no problem connecting to their admin pages over the LAN, just wirelessly.  I look at the units and the power light is steady green while the Ethernet and wireless lights flicker rapidly.  This looks no different when I can connect and when I can't.  Connectivity doesn't depend on location; I can put my laptop right next to one of the units when they are malfunctioning and still can't connect.  I tried changing the broadcast channel but it seems to have no effect.  I rentered the WEP key that I have used for years and it doesn't have any effect.  Settings are pretty much factory except for changing the IP address of one of them (so they can be in the same LAN) and customizing the SSIDs and security keys.

I've been an exclusively Linksys customer for my network hardware since the 802.11b days.  I've never had so many problems with equipment like I have with the 4400Ns.  I find it hard to believe that they would both fail simultaneously.  What else could be going on?

Firmware v 1.2.19

3 Replies 3

twolips72
Level 1
Level 1

Follow up:

I have found that turning off WEP allows me to connect this morning, as does using WPA-Personal with AES encryption.  I have used WEP on my equipment for over a decade without incident.  When I try to connect with WEP, the Wireless Network Connection Windows box goes from "Waiting for network...." to "Waiting for network to be ready..." but after about 30 sec, it says "Limited or no connectivity."

What is causing this?

Ok, well that solution didn't last.  Now even if I unsecure the WAP, all I get is "Waiting for network...."

Any suggestions besides throwing away $300 in equipment would be appreciated.

Hi Eric -- Thanks for posting in the Support Community. Strongly recommend you call the Small Business Support Center. The support engineers can help. International contact numbers can be found here: www.cisco.com/go/sbsc. The US center is available 24/7.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business Technology Group

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: