Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP to media converter

javierfonseca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I want to connect two endpoints through a 62.5 mm fiber.  One endpoint is a Catalyst 2960 and the other is a PLC

It has been tested to work with 2 Allied Telesis media converters (RJ-45 to 100Base-FX).  One for each endpoint.

I'd like to know if I can try to connect a GLC-GE-100FX= (SFP in the switch) at one end and the media converter at the PLC's side.

I don't have any GLC-GE-100FX= to try so I'd like to know if they would work before acquiring one of them.

Thank you.

Javier F.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Based on the literature, the media converter in single ended deployment should work with your 2960 100BaseFX application. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The user manual for one model of Allied Telesis media converters indicates that they can be used in unpaired applications (I've attached one of the install manuals).  You didn't mention the length of the link or the Allied model number, but based on the optical specs of the attached Allied Telesis media convertor, you should be able to connect them unpaired to the 2960 with GLC-GE-100FX= transceiver.  Unfortunatly, I do not have direct experience with the product. You might check with Allied to see if they can confirm.

Good luck!

Hello.

It's an Allied Telesis AT-MC101XL-10 (multimode 100Base-FX) at one end and a 2960 with a GLC-GE-100FX at the other end.

The length of the link would not be longer than 700 meters over 62.5/125 multimode fiber.

I've attached both the datasheet and the installation guide of the transceiver.

I think that this should work since both ends use the 100Base-FX standard.  Is this correct?

Thank you,

Javier F.

Based on the literature, the media converter in single ended deployment should work with your 2960 100BaseFX application. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: