6921 Phones Call-Waiting

Answered Question
Oct 3rd, 2010
User Badges:

Hello,

I have a customer with a CallManager 7.X and a number of 6921 phones.

I'm trying to increase the "busy trigger" to allow for call waiting functionality, however I can not edit this field on the line configuration on that phone.

Isn't this phone supposed to support call-waiting?

Thanks,

Ahmed

Correct Answer by Rob Huffman about 6 years 7 months ago

Hi Ahmed,

Sadly, this model does not support multiple calls per Line or

traditional Call Waiting;

The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6921 supports two lines and offers a full-duplex speakerphone for a more productive, more flexible, and easier-to-use endpoint experience. The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6921 supports single-call per-line appearance, offering traditional telephony-like user experience for customers who seek this type of call interaction for their users. Fixed keys for hold, transfer, and conference; tri-color LED line and feature keys also make the phone simpler and easier to use.

http://www.ciscostadium.org/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10326/ps10343/data_sheet_c78-541534.html

You could leverage the second Line and Call Forward Busy on Line 1 to

build a simulated Call Waiting for your users

Cheers!

Rob

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Rob Huffman Sun, 10/03/2010 - 08:30
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Ahmed,

Sadly, this model does not support multiple calls per Line or

traditional Call Waiting;

The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6921 supports two lines and offers a full-duplex speakerphone for a more productive, more flexible, and easier-to-use endpoint experience. The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6921 supports single-call per-line appearance, offering traditional telephony-like user experience for customers who seek this type of call interaction for their users. Fixed keys for hold, transfer, and conference; tri-color LED line and feature keys also make the phone simpler and easier to use.

http://www.ciscostadium.org/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10326/ps10343/data_sheet_c78-541534.html

You could leverage the second Line and Call Forward Busy on Line 1 to

build a simulated Call Waiting for your users

Cheers!

Rob

AhmedEl-Eraky Sun, 10/03/2010 - 12:55
User Badges:

Thanks Rob for your support.

That's what I thought at first, but I thought I was wrong.

Thanks again.

Ahmed

MARK BAKER Thu, 05/12/2011 - 10:29
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I just sent this feature request to my Cisco rep. Can you let me know what you think about this? I really like the 6945 model since it has 10/100/1000 switch ports but is only a class 1 PoE device. I was really disappointed to find out how much is involved to simulate multiple calls to the same extension.

I would like to suggest an enhancement for the 6900 series phones. Currently the DN assigned to the phone has the max calls and busy trigger set to 1 and it cannot be changed. I would like to suggest that these fields allow editing up to the number of available lines on the phone that it is assigned. For example if the DN is assigned to a 6945, I would be able to set max calls and busy trigger up to 4. Each increase would remove the same amount of DNs that could be assigned to the phone at the device level.

Examples:

current setting:

DN assigned to phone line 1:

DN 1000

max calls 1

busy trigger 1

device

Line 1 - 1000

Line 2 - add DN or feature

Line 3 - add DN or feature

Line 4 - add DN or feature

NOTE: Can configure different DN on other lines and roll from one to the next to simulate multiple lines or the same DN in different partitions to roll. Anyone that configures a large amount of phones will tell you this is a lot of extra work to set up.

Suggested feature:

DN 1000

Max calls 3

Busy trigger 2

Device:

Line 1 - 1000

NOTE: Lines 2 and 3 don't show up on device because max calls is set to 3. Incoming call 1 would show up on line 1, call 2 would show up on line 2 and call 3 would show up on line 3. I would also suggest duplicating the DN label on all 3 lines.

- or -

DN 1000

Max calls 2

Busy trigger 2

Device

Line 1 - 1000

Line 3 - add DN or feature

NOTE: line 2 doesn't show up on device because max calls is set to 2. Incoming call 1 would show up on line 1 and call 2 would show up on line 2. I would also suggest duplicating the DN label on both lines.

With the suggested feature, you would still have the simplicity of having 1 call per button, but would be able to reduce the necessary configuration required to have multiple calls to the same extension.

MARK BAKER Tue, 05/24/2011 - 05:06
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Good news. I got this reply from my Cisco rep.

The BU informed us that multiple calls per line will be supported on the 6900 series phones with 9.2(1) firmware (FCS – end of May) and CUCM 8.6.

This is great news!

Mark

Rob Huffman Tue, 05/24/2011 - 05:41
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your very kind follow up here (+5)

This is good news indeed!

Cheers!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion