Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks--no alerts in Dfm from a single router Interface

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Dear clark / cisco team,

when my 7200 [ios-12.2(33)sxh] router serial link went down, this alert was not came to my Dfm 3.1.0 and hence no email alert also. But in router loggs i see this link up/down message. In dfm, i verified that this router is known, interface was set to manage and was marked as True. In dfm alert logs i found only one log with regards to this interface which had come after 8 hrs as exceededmaximumuptime. I really do not know is this log have any connection with my said issue, pls consider this log as just for information (exceededmaximumuptime).

Lms has discovered alerts from this router for other serial interfaces as down, so router is sending the other interface logs to dfm.

could someone pls help me in this...

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 7200 routers don't run SXH code.  I'm guessing this is a 7600.  What type of serial interface is this?  If DFM is reporting it exceeded maximum uptime, then it must be identifying it as a dial-on-demand or backup interface.

Hi clarke, sorry for the wrong image name...

You are right....the os is c7200-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin.

Interface is a serial one and not dialon demand/backup...confirmed.

Exceededtimelog had come after 6+ hrs of the link down, mean to say no logs on that time..

What is the serial hardware that drives this interface?  What is its ifType?

Hi Clarke,

This is the serial interface1/1..and the make is ME1-BAL

IOS is c7200-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin / Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G1)

show diag:

Slot 1:
        Mx serial (ME1-BAL) Port adapter, 4 ports
        Port adapter is analyzed
        Port adapter insertion time 1y30w ago
        EEPROM contents at hardware discovery:
        Hardware revision 1.1           Board revision E0
        Serial number     xxxxxxx Part number    73-2250-04
        FRU Part Number     PA-4E1G/120=

I did a packetcapture in Device center for this machine interface and as per the wireshark with this output, i am able to get the status of the interface thru snmp with mib 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.2 as UP....(presently the link is up).

It's an E1 interface, so DFM may be seeing this as PPP (thus dial-on-demand).  You can go to DFM > Configuration > Other Configurations > Group Administration, and configure one of the customizable interface groups to match this interface (and any others exhibiting the same behavior).  Then, go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Mananging Thresholds.  Edit the settings for your customized group, and click the Customize Settings button.  Add Generic Interface/port performance settings, and apply and save your changes.  Next, go to Setting Priorities, and float your customzied group to the top of the list.  Finally, go to Apply Changes, and apply the changes.  Those ExceededMaximumUptime events should go away.

This is what I was looking for :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco