Views
Helpful
Replies

cat 6506 temperature sensor failed

Richard.Jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a catalyst 6506-E switch and recently it gives the console message "chassis temperator sensor has failed, please power cycle the switch"

The show environment, show test, show system output status shows the entire module and the system status is passed.

Please if I could know where is the problem; if any hardware needs to be replaced....

Thanks

3 Replies 3

rahurao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard,

%C4K_CHASSIS-3-TEMPERATURESENSORREADFAILED: Failed to read the supervisor temperature sensor

The temperature sensor on the supervisor engine cannot be read. If the chassis becomes overheated, this condition will not be reported.

To check the same check the show diagnostic result module x output.

I believe that you might have the diagnostic mode set to minimal which would not be able to go for in depth hardware diagnostics.

IIf that is the case then i would suggest configuring it to complete and then reseat the module.

HHTH

RRahul

Hi Rahul,

Thank You so much for the valuable input

Please find the exact error message

"SYS-2-SYS_TEMPSENSORFAIL: Chassis temperature sensors failed, please powercycle the system"

Power cycled the switch once but it didn't help as told in the below link:

http://www.irismail.net/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/system/messages/errbook.pdf

So please let me know, do we need to raise a TAC really or if possible to replace a particular harware to fix the problem

Thanks

Hi Richard,

It seems from the error message that the temparature sensor on the chassis has gone bad. If a reload have not resolved the issue i believe we need to replace the chassis for the same.

As the error message just talks about the temparature and there are many on the chassis and we cannot replace the sensors as they are inbuilt in the chassis.

Please open a TAC case for replacement.

HTH

Rahul

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card