cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

May I know the recommended threshold for CPU, Memory and so on of selecting a switch

Seok-Bin Lim
Level 1
Level 1

hello, everybody,

This is Lim from south Korea.

I am helping to make a document for the internetwork  base design of enterprise company.

anyway, I got a question that I mentioned above on title by the document making leader.

So I have searched and googled for a week to find out a key to solving that question.

but I couldn't got a answer for that.

Is there any documents , which is contained the recommended standard threshold for CPU, Memory and spare ports when we design or select a switch of an internetwork?

I hope that my intention can deliever to your mind.

i can not express my question very well due to my english skills.

Thanks a lot!

2 Replies 2

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

there are no specific thresholds defined for CPU, mem, ... for any devices. The only thing that can be done is check CPU or mem utilization on a specific router and verify whether it is normal/expected for the configuration used, amount of routes/prefixes, ...

Regards,

Fred

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

(I hope you are not confusing a switch and a router.)

I agree with Fred.  Switches (except for the Sup32 and Sup720) come in standard CPU and standard memory.  It also depends on your design.  What is your switch going to be doing?

Regarding spare port capacity, we wouldn't necessarily go out and buy switches if we know if a switch is not fully utilized. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card