Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client Restart Windows XP

guijarrelson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all people,

I have installed the last Cisco VPN Client, for this OS., v5.0.07.0290 for 32 bits. When I trying to establish a connection to a Cisco VPN Server, the client connect correctly, but then, Windows XP restart without any info or error message. I looked the Event Viewer and there isn't any error log or crash.

Do you have any idea of what's happening? Any software in conflict?

I have a Comodo Personal Firewall and Avast Personal installed and running.

If you need some additional info, request it to me

Greets!

23 Replies 23

Shilpa Gupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

There can be some things with which cisco vpn client is not compatible with. You can check the following:-

[1]VPN Client supports smart card authentication on Windows 7, Vista, and XP.

[2]VPN Client supports up to one Ethernet adapter and one PPP adapter.

[3]VPN Client 5.0.x is incompatible with the combination of Cisco Unified Video Advantage 2.1.2 and McAfee HIPS Patch 4 Build 688.

To avoid system failures, uninstall either of these two applications,upgrade McAfee to the latest version, or use VPN Client 4.6.x.

[4]The VPN Client is not compatible with Microsoft ICS (Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the same PC.

You can read more about this in the following link:-
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client5007/release/notes/vpnclient5007.pdf

Also please try to disable the firewalls present on the PC and see if it helps.

I hope this helps.

Namit Agarwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

It looks like that the Windows XP machine is restarting as soon as the VPN Client connects to the VPN Server. Do you get time to pass traffic through the VPN before the system restarts or is it instantaneous ? Do you get a Blue Screen on Windows ?

Regards,

Namit

I don't have any message error in the system, blue screen or any message box. I connected it, and then, instantaneous restart.

I have other Windows XP running with the client connecting to the same VPN server, but in this host, it restart it.

Hi,

Please try disabling the firewall and antivirus and check if that helps. Do the other PCs have the same Anti Virus and Firewall installed ?

Regards,

Namit

if disbaling firewall antivirus does not help, try uninstalling it

disbale firewall and anti virus

reinstall again

vpn client does not have too many issues with win xp sp this kind of bothers me

This host, doesn't have the same antivirus and firewall. The host that works, have a Symantec Endpoint Protection.

This night I'll try to uninstalling it, and reinstall the VPN Client.

Well, another thing, when I tried to uninstalling it, Windows restart too. The only way to clean up it, is doing a system restore. Could you give me the paths of the installation software to make a clean install?

Thanks in advice

Hi,

I would recommend that before you uninstall and install VPN Client, please test after removing Avast and the Personal Firewall. Avast can sometimes cause issues with the VPN Client.

Regards,

Namit

go to the add/remove program and remove it from there

again this is really wierd that it doesnt even let you un install,

disbale firewall and anit virus even while you uninstall

i think the anti virus is the one breaking things here, my doubts are increasing bcoz other hosts in your network do not have the same fw anti virus

I think that Antivirus is not the problem, because I have another host with Windows 7 and the same Firewall and Antivirus, and work fine.

The problematic host, resides in other site, other network than the other XP, but in the same as the other Windows 7. In Windows 7, with Avast and Comodo Firewall runs ok, in XP nook.

Hi,

Please send me the output of the following file vpnclient.ini. Its located at the following path C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\

Thanks,

Namit

This is the output of vpnclient.ini:

[main]
ClientLanguage=
StatefulFirewall=1
ConnectOnOpen=0
[GUI]
MinimizeOnConnect=1
UseWindowSettings=1
ShowTooltips=0
ShowConnectHistory=0
AccessibilityOption=0
DefaultConnectionEntry=AE Desarrollo

And I get the Windows Core Dumps Files after the restart when I trying to connect.

This try, I did without Firewalls and without Antivirus running.

Hi,

Please change the value of keyword StatefulFirewall=1 to StatefulFirewall=0 and save the file. Restart the VPN Client . Check if this helps

Thanks,

Namit

Ok, I'll try later with the option. What's the function of this option?

Greets!

Hi,

This option will disable the stateful firewall on the VPN Client. Sometimes the VPN Client firewall can create incompatibility issues with the local PC Firewall and Anti Virus

Cheers,

Namit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: