WCS Enterprise with Navigator

Answered Question
Oct 4th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I have WCS Enterprise License for 10000 AP, License is including of WCS Navigator,

now I would like to know what is the best practice to implement WCS Navigator,

I have 4 Windows 2003 Enterprise Servers 2 as Active and 2 as Secondary Servers.

Can I install WCS Navigator on the WCS Server ?

which Server I need to Install WCS Navigator ?

Do I need to install Navigator in seperate server ?

I am bit confused with design, kindly let me know if you find any best practice,

Correct Answer by Nicolas Darchis about 6 years 7 months ago

Not sure if you are aware (this is a fact many people misunderstood) but a "standby" WCS can be redundant for several "primary" active WCS. So you could have 2 active WCS and 1 backup. And the Backup WCS takes over with the correct database of the active WCS that went down.

So 2 backup WCS is really redundant :-)

As far as I know, it's still not possible to have Navigator working in HA.

And even ! Navigator doesn't really support HA WCS servers. This means that when the primary WCS went down, you then need to add the "secondary" WCS who took over to Navigator. It's no showstopper but it would have been nice to monitor the status of WCS HA pairs in Navigator. This is currently a feature request that is being worked on for Navigator.

Not sure if I understood the other part of your question but yes it is mandatory to have the "secondary WCS" servers on separate physical servers than the primaries. First because otherwise it beats the purpose of HA a bit and secondly because if a secondary is going active, it can't be on the same server as an already active WCS.

Nicolas

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Nicolas Darchis Thu, 10/07/2010 - 09:07
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

from a TAC standpoint, it's advised to install the Navigator on a separate server.

The first reason is that they both use HTTP port 80 for example.

So you could be tweaking them to use different ports for every service but that's not so handy.

The second reason is that WCS is already hardware-intensive and a NAvigator managing several WCS is not light thing as well. So both on the same server, they might kill your performance and impact each other.

Regards,

Nicolas

kirankumarhm Fri, 10/08/2010 - 10:16
User Badges:

Thanks for your Suggestion....

But I would like to know can I install both on same servers, as I have only 2 Active WCS and 2 Redundant WCS servers monitoring 5000 AP's.

since I have only Enterprise License will I be able to install only Navigator alone seperately ?

do we require 2  seperate servers 1 for Active as 1 for Redundant ?

will Navigator work in HA mode ?

Cheers,

Correct Answer
Nicolas Darchis Fri, 10/08/2010 - 23:13
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Not sure if you are aware (this is a fact many people misunderstood) but a "standby" WCS can be redundant for several "primary" active WCS. So you could have 2 active WCS and 1 backup. And the Backup WCS takes over with the correct database of the active WCS that went down.

So 2 backup WCS is really redundant :-)

As far as I know, it's still not possible to have Navigator working in HA.

And even ! Navigator doesn't really support HA WCS servers. This means that when the primary WCS went down, you then need to add the "secondary" WCS who took over to Navigator. It's no showstopper but it would have been nice to monitor the status of WCS HA pairs in Navigator. This is currently a feature request that is being worked on for Navigator.

Not sure if I understood the other part of your question but yes it is mandatory to have the "secondary WCS" servers on separate physical servers than the primaries. First because otherwise it beats the purpose of HA a bit and secondly because if a secondary is going active, it can't be on the same server as an already active WCS.

Nicolas

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content