Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1200 - basic+vlan confgn howto?

ribin.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I got a Cisco 1200 series wi-fi router. My requirement is to have an ssid for guests and also another ssid for our employees.

My setup is like below:

ISP

|

|

Router

|

|

Layer 3 Switch

|

|

Aironet wi-fi

If I connect the wifi to a LAN and with no vlan concept, I am able to get the laptops connected to the wifi to an ssid.

My requirement is to bring in the vlan concept. In my layer 3 switch I have  trunk port configured. Now my wifi has no configuration. What is the next step I should follow? What is the IP sI should give to the wifi BVI interface and also, how can I get all vlan's in the layer 3 switch to the wi-fi so that I can assign particular vlan's to the guests and employees.

Let me know if my concept is wrong. Thanks for any response.

- Ribin

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ribin,

Have a look at this very descriptive doc that explains the process;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml#apconfig

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for the doc Rob.

I was following the configuration using GUI.

In my Layer 3, I have three vlan's, 192.168.1.0, 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.3.0. I connected the wifi in 192.168.1.0 network with IP 192.168.1.10 and did some configurations. I created an ssid for guests, assigned vlan 3. In the Layer 3 switch I created a trunk port also and connected a cable from the trunk port to the a=fastethernet port of the wifi.

Right now, a laptop user can connect to the wifi and the laptop takes an IP in the range 192.168.3. . But right now, i am not able to get the GUI of wifi which was earlier being accessed using http://192.168.1.10. I think I am missing something with the vlan/native vlan configuration. Any idea what it could be?

- Ribin

Also, how can I broadcast multiple ssid's? When I tried to enter a 2nd ssid, it showed "Dot11Radio0: Guest-ssid already existing on ssid".

- Ribin

I solved the previous issue using mbssid command. Any help with the vlan config?

- Ribin

Hi Ribin,

So the BVI interface on the AP is asigned the IP address 192.168.1.10.. and the laptop is getting the IP from 192.168.3.X network and the client is not able to access the GUI if we connect to the vlan 3??

>> lets try pinging the ip of vlan 1 from the laptop and also from AP to vlan 3 and lets see if both are success

>> Configure VLAN 1 as native on the AP and then try accessing..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

I am out of office currently and I will check this asap. Will get back to you once i check this.

- Ribin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: