Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP and VLANs on a switch

jake.stabl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Goal:  Setting up a new multifloor building and the goal is to have total ability to roam between floors without dropping connections using the follwing:

5508 controllers

1142 LAP's

Layer 3 connected network EIGRP between floors

No layer 2 trunking between distribution switches for better failover

See attached diagram

Vlan 200 is /22 network for Wireless Client

Configuration of switchport with controller:

interface GigabitEthernet4/46

description nwc01-1211-01b

switchport

switchport trunk native vlan 210

switchport trunk allowed vlan 200,208,210

switchport mode trunk

wrr-queue bandwidth 50 255

wrr-queue queue-limit 75 15

wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 2 70 100

wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 2 90 100

wrr-queue cos-map 1 2 0

wrr-queue cos-map 2 1 1 2 3 4

wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 6 7

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip cisco-phone

channel-group 200 mode on

Configuration of switchport with LAP

switchport

switchport mode access

wrr-queue bandwidth 50 255

wrr-queue queue-limit 75 15

wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 2 70 100

wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 2 90 100

wrr-queue cos-map 1 2 0

wrr-queue cos-map 2 1 1 2 3 4

wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 6 7

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip cisco-phone

spanning-tree portfast

end

Basically since we are not doing DOT1Q trunking between the core switches I cannot place my Access Points in vlan 200 per floor.  I can them an IP using the access VLAN but I want to distribute IP's address to the clients from the WLC.

The thought process is because the LAP creates an LWAPP tunnel back to the controller then I should be able to centrally distribute IP addresses from the 200 vlan.

I apologize for the confusion but I have a hard time explaining this through the forum.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jake,

The AP does not need to be in VLAN 200, they can belong to any VLAN so long as it can route to the wlc's mgmt interface, tehy will join.  ALl client traffic is tunneled back to the WLC for ingress/egress.  So if you want your clients to be in VLAN 200, it will work, so long as the WLC has L2 access to that VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jake,

The AP does not need to be in VLAN 200, they can belong to any VLAN so long as it can route to the wlc's mgmt interface, tehy will join.  ALl client traffic is tunneled back to the WLC for ingress/egress.  So if you want your clients to be in VLAN 200, it will work, so long as the WLC has L2 access to that VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yes this was the answer. The concept I was missing in all of the WLC configurations was Dynamic interfaces attached as you said to a L2 vlan.  The switch port then has the trunks for those accepted vlans.

Thank you,

Jake,

Make sure you have a layer 2 adjacency between your distros where your WLCs live for your wireless VLANs. Trunk between the two for better fail over. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card