cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design ? about SNMP operation in ACE module ... Traps sent to different Mgmt Stations

RAMAN AZIZIAN
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day everyone,

I searched the site, and I could not find the answer I was looking for, so If anyone happens to know or point me to a link I would greatly appreciate it.

Topic:

Can ACE module sent different Traps (oid) to different management station? Split decision processing to send specific traffic to specific stations, based on the alert it has detected.

Scenario:

Our network equipments have a demarc point on what devices are managed via SNMP (Traps, syslog, EMS, etc...); Routers, Switches, ACE modules, and so forth.

However, we are not responsible for the App Servers assigned to various broadcast domains.

Customer would like to receive Notification from the ACE module when a Real Server is taken out of rotation , when specific probes have failed.

My team manages the ACE module, so any alerts from the ACE will be sent to the management station configured in our network.

Unfortunately I do not have a Test Lab to test my theory, so any help would be greatly appreciated before I submit my Production configs.

Design Requirements:

Customer would like the following traps generated and sent to their management station:

1) Real Server host name

2) TCP port

3) Real Server IP address

4) If capable, percentage threshold for each real server, based on the prediction configured for each Server Farm

5) Can a NetIQ agent be download on the ACE module to communicate with the NetIQ management station?

As always thank you for any help you can provide, and if you happen to be around Huntsville Alabama/USA.. you got a cold beer waiting for you!!!!

Cheers,

-raman

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not possible.

You can configured multiple snmp-server hosts and enable traps.

But each server will receive a copy of each trap.

You can't decide what each server should receive.

I would personally build some snmp proxy server to receive the trap and put some filter to decide which ones to forward to some other snmp server.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

You could probably do it.

From TCL Script you can open a TCP connection on port 25, and send the cleartext command like "HELO" to establish the SMTP connection and send the data you want.

But this is really something you should avoid.

The TCL script should be kept as simple as possible if you do not want to have performance issue.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not possible.

You can configured multiple snmp-server hosts and enable traps.

But each server will receive a copy of each trap.

You can't decide what each server should receive.

I would personally build some snmp proxy server to receive the trap and put some filter to decide which ones to forward to some other snmp server.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Thank you for your prompt answer.

When you have time please look over the following question and let me know if it is possible to implement, if the Proxy server is not an option?

Can a Custom TCL script be executed to sent an notification via SMPT if a health probe fails?

The SMTP message will contain the server info (IP address, Host name, TCP port).

The script procedure will execute certain actions based on the returned result.

Thanks,

raman

P.S
Sorry about not being up to speed on TCL. I am reading up on the TCL capability, and trying to provide some options to my customer.

You could probably do it.

From TCL Script you can open a TCP connection on port 25, and send the cleartext command like "HELO" to establish the SMTP connection and send the data you want.

But this is really something you should avoid.

The TCL script should be kept as simple as possible if you do not want to have performance issue.

Gilles.

Thanks Gilles. I think I will steer clear of TCL scripting for now.

Have a good week.

-raman