7925G driver for Windows 7

Unanswered Question
Oct 19th, 2010

Is there a driver for windows 7 for the 7925G phones?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jpowell697 Wed, 05/18/2011 - 12:19

This is outrageous.  Windows 7 has been out long enough for Cisco to get on the ball and get their stuff compatible.  I'm tired of having to tell Win 7

customers and IT folks (and me for that matter too since I have Windows 7) that they cannot do their jobs because Cisco hasn't got their stuff straight!!

Come on Cisco!  This is frustrating!

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 05/18/2011 - 12:34

I understand and agree that cisco and windows don't go well along, but regarding this particular case, what the driver actually does of important?

I ordered the phones with an USB cable but never used it. I do all the necessary configuration from either the phone, or CME.

jpowell697 Wed, 05/18/2011 - 12:44

Connecting the wireless phones via the USB allows you to configure the network settings.  You can use the phone's web page to enter in the data for network settings, or import a saved configuration file (which is much faster).  Once the phone is connected to the network, then it can download its xml configuration file from CM for the rest of the phone settings.  I would hate to have to configure 100 phones manually (via the phone itself) especially with a 24 bit encryption key!  No way!! :)

Joel_Jones Fri, 10/14/2011 - 12:22

Has there been any update on this that anyone knows of? Just upgraded our machines to Windows 7 and this is going to be a huge hassel.

Leo Laohoo Fri, 10/14/2011 - 16:03

I've used the USB for 7925G.  Let me warn you that it WILL NOT work on 64-bit Windows 7.

Products > Voice and Unified Communications > IP Telephony > IP Phones > Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series > Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G > IP Phone Tools and Utilities-1.0(3)

Joel_Jones Mon, 10/17/2011 - 05:21

yeah were on 64-bit here. Guess ill be setting these up the hard way

Robert Prideaux Thu, 11/24/2011 - 13:59

Microsoft is telling the world to go 64 bit - and Cisco sticks its head in the sand and says "Cisco or nothing" - any wonder they are in financial difficulties.

Yes, 64 bit drivers are a pain as they are a near complete re-write - but is a DRIVER, not a 3 million line accounting app.

Basically I am not going to offer the wireless phones to my clients; if they want them, I will source another brand.

Maybe Cisco will get the message before it is too late - this is exactly why IBM went down the gurgler; arrogant management who thought they could build and sell PC's like they did the "Big Iron": as we used to call their Mainframes... shame the world said a 3-5 year release cycle for a simple PC was a no go, especially when everyone else did it in 3-5 months.

Leo Laohoo Fri, 11/25/2011 - 19:20

Hi Robert,

I'm no phone guy.  I just found out about the 32-bit driver from someone.

The most probably reason why Cisco isn't keen on designing a 64-bit driver is because for the lack of uptake.  Cisco is recommending users to use the BAT instead. 

Leo Laohoo Fri, 11/25/2011 - 23:15

BAT stands for Bulk Administration Tool.

I'm no expert with VoIP so I will try to get this right:  Basically, the 7921G/7925G/7925X and 7926G come with a "basic" wireless configuration.  The BAT will allow you to prepare a config in the background.  This config will tell you what your Wireless settings for the VoIP is, security and ecryption setting, CUCM IP address, etc.

You power up the phones I mentioned above, it will look for this generic WLAN SSID for Voice, download this config and reboot. 

Robert Prideaux Sat, 11/26/2011 - 16:41

Sounds like a "good thing", especially if you need to deploy a number of them; have to admit though, I had never come across it before.

All my 'general' config work I do with CCA...

At the risk of annoying you more

is the BAT only available with the "upmarket" systems (as in above the UC500 series?) or is it a tool I have just overlooked in the AP. I restrict them to the inbuilt AP's in then 540/560 and run extenders using the AP541N.

BTW, I am very, very grateful for your insights - learnt more from your 2 posts about this than months of asking Cisco...

So much for not being a "phone person"...

jpowell697 Wed, 12/21/2011 - 13:45

The current version does not work on Windows 7 32-bit OS.  I have tried various methods to get it to work and it simply will not work due to the nature of the network components of Win 7.

antnetko Wed, 12/21/2011 - 13:47

Thanks John.   I'm tracking this down internally to find out what the future holds for the USB configuration of these phones. I will update the thread when I find out what's up.

Robert Prideaux Wed, 12/21/2011 - 14:38

Am afraid this is another example why I truly believe Cisco are not serious about the SMB space... (hte Board seemes to think they have it covered by buying Linksys...)

Not having this driver sounds trivial, until it is time to deploy one/many. Sorry, but trying to configure one of these units using the keypad is just frustrating and time consuming... and SMB owners do NOT pay $300 an hour for support, like the enterprise space is used to.

I feel for the group from Stephen on down, who do such stellar work with the doco, VOD's, software et al;  not to mention the hours they spend answering posts etc.

BUT:

they need support from senior management to get budget to have this stuff in place BEFORE going to market -  not just ignoring things or saying it is not worth the effort...

Am real Old School - so saw IBM screw around with PC's from day dot; reason they tried 3 times to make it work and eventually just sold it to all Lenovo, was the "Big Iron" retreads were running things - and while a  new 370 mainframe was OK to announce 3 years out, PC's change in 3 months (or less - and Intel makes Billions making it so...)

The people who came from the Big Iron part of Cisco, seem to treat the SMB space with the same attitude; and it just does not work.

Leo Laohoo Thu, 12/22/2011 - 22:22
The current version does not work on Windows 7 32-bit OS. 

I disagree.  It's working in mine.  I just make sure this progie is "Run as Administrator.

don.click1 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 09:45

July 2012. Just downloaded version 1.0.3 of this driver.. 4 years later and STILL no windows 7 64bit support?

REALLY?

stephenstone Fri, 10/12/2012 - 10:05

The best way to fix this issue is if you have Windows 7 Professional or above is to use Microsoft's XP mode. It is a free download from Microsoft and it will give you a FREE full version of XP running in a VM so you can still run these drivers. Microsoft did this for compatablity issues of older software not running in a 64 bit environment or just not supported in Windows 7.

Jason Wiatr Fri, 01/25/2013 - 07:09

I just learned that the driver for Windows 7 will be released when the 1.4(4) firmware comes out.

I don't have an ETA on when it will be out.

alzhou Thu, 02/07/2013 - 20:33

Good news. Posted on CCO software download now!

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted October 19, 2010 at 5:22 AM
Stats:
Replies:23 Avg. Rating:
Views:8057 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard

Rank Username Points
1 21,026