Helpful
Replies

Memory and CPU usage

hussainccie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is Hussain,

I monitor ASA5520 which is in active/standby scenario through ASDM and OP Manager. I found that the cpu usage is normal but memory usage is 62% which i think, it is high. how can i control the usage of the memory. and i want to know some tools and tips to troubleshoot ASA and PIX. I will be thanful for replying.

Hussain

3 Replies 3

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Hussain,

Mike here, hope you are doing great. 62% is not quite considered high Memory. However if you would like to track performance issues, here is a good link with best pratices to do so.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008009491c.shtml#memory

If you feel like your memory spiked right out of the blue then that will be something to take in consideration. What is the model of your ASA? How many memory does it has?

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,

This is the first time i am using any monitoring tool i.e OP Manager 8. I attached a snap shot of it, it shows me this device ASA 5520 is in critical. then i check cpu and memory utilization, i found memory utilization was 62% yesterday, now it is 59%. I think i need to monitor it regulrly then i will get to know waht is the normal memory utilization, but my concern why it shows this device is in critical.

Hussain

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hussain,

In order to troubleshoot high memory utilization, you'll also need to know what normal utilization looks like (i.e. if 62% is high, what is normal?). Some common culprits for high memory utilization are threat-detection and WebVPN, and code upgrades can also change the memory footprint. However, if you haven't made any changes to the configuration and the memory utilization is at a level that is higher than normal for your environment, you can always open a TAC case so the problem can be identified.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card